Monday, October 17, 2005

I No Longer Fear Satan's Wrath

Well, what can I say? My worst fear has been realized. The Chicago White Sox are in the World Series. To Sox nation I offer my congratulations. I hope you realize just how sacred and special this is. I also will hope beyond hope that they take this time to enjoy it and not use it to bash the Cubs. I am hoping that they will exhibit class and use this as a showcase for what a great baseball town this can be. Somehow, I think I will be disappointed.

As for my own personal feelings, yes, I am in hell. Listen, I realize that good teams make their own luck and when a break arises they take advantage of them. However, the breaks this team is getting go beyond words. Let’s list them all.

Game 2 of the ALDS – A ground ball that in my littlie league years I could have fielded goes between the legs of ex-Sox second baseman Tony (why is this guy starting) Grafininno. Of course this leads to a 5 run inning, which propels the White Sox to a victory. If the Red Sox hold on and win that game it is a whole new series.

Game 3 of the ALDS – Sorry, I’ve seen numerous replays, Damon did not swing. In the bottom of the 6th the Red Sox had the bases loaded and no one out needing only one run to tie the game. The next two hitters popped up when Damon came to the plate. On a 3-2 pitch he clearly checked his swing. However, the umpire rang him up. Again, another huge break and again it could have been a whole new series if not for that call.

Game 2 of the ALCS – They scored their first run thanks to a two base throwing error on the pitcher. Then the worst call I’ve ever seen took place. I’ve been watching baseball for thirty years. In all of that time I’ve never seen a play like I saw at the end of the game. That umpire quite simply blew that call. Let’s forget the whole did he catch the ball or did it hit the dirt. The ump signaled the out sign meaning the batter is out. His lame “that is my strike three call” bullshit is just that. He choked pure and simple. If the White Sox go down 0-2 it is a whole new ballgame.

Game 4 of the ALCS – Again Pierzynski is at the center of controversy, as he was not called for catcher’s interference. The Umps blew that one. It would have caused a run to score for the Angels and it’s a whole new game. Then, later Podsednik was out on a pick off, again the ump missed the call. So, then when he steals second every replay shows he is out. Of course, the ump blew the call and called him safe. He later comes around to score. If those calls are made correctly it is a whole new game and who knows who wins.

Game 5 of the ALCS – It’s the top of the 8th The Sox have runners on first and second. Up steps Joe Crede with Rodriguez on the mound. The count is 2-2 and Rodriguez throws a knee bending perfect curveball that fooled not only the hitter, but also the ump. He calls it a ball and of course with the count 3-2 the runners get a head start. On the next pitch Crede hits a 15-hop ground ball up the middle that somehow scores the winning run.

Sox fans can say all they want, however, if these calls had gone against them their tune would be a whole lot different. I am going to look this up, but I have to wonder when the last team without a .300 hitter or a 20-game winner got to the World Series? If this sounds like a bitter rant, well, it is. I admit I am jealous. I am jealous that they get to have all the fun of the World Series. I wish all the players on the Sox no ill will. I also am happy for all the good Sox fans that have lived and died with this team over the years. However, to the other “fans” who never support this team, that barely average 20,000 on weeknights, that sit and openly and viciously rooted against my Cubs in 2003 and to Jerry Residorf, to them, I say eat me. The more I think about it wasn’t an all-bad weekend, at least Norte Dame lost.

7 Comments:

Blogger joyceakajocelyn said...

why can't we all get along...

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joyce makes a great point.

Nick you ask us not to bash Cubs fan but then you go on to bash the way the American League 2005 Champion Chicago WHITE SOX won.

And here's the thing. I've been thinking about this lately and have been good not giving it to Cubs fans. However, this is a rivalry (Sox verse Cubs) and in any good rivalry the up team's fans always dumps on the down team's fans. And no matter what the one team's fans don't root for the other team. This point was driven home when I picked up my White Sox fan dad for game 1 of the ALCS. My Cubs fans mom said, "Well I won't say have a good time because that'll meand a White Sox winner. But if you get hungry there's good food at the ballpark." CLASSIC!!! MY OWN MOM!! That's what sports rivalries are all about. You don't think that Bears fans have been dumped on for years by Packer fans?

So you know what I will take a little time from my celebration to say this, CUBS SUCK! and the WHITE SOX ARE IN THE WORLD SERIES.

Now I will go back to the euphoria I am feeling and the anxiety that is buiding for 1) trying to get World Series tickets and 2) hoping they don't blow it in the World Series!

GO CARDS!

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

by the way that was me above (I hit enter instead of tab to type my name.

5:42 PM  
Blogger joyceakajocelyn said...

I am a fan of all chicago teams but primarily a cub fan and not a sox fan, yet I will root for them because they are OUR chicago team. However, I would like to quote a columnist at the tribute, Brian Hiatt, Can Cub fans suck it up? "I would venture to say that most Cub fans don't really mind the Sox. Contrary to what the self-professed "real" baseball fans on the South Side say, most of us actually do know a thing or two about the game, and recognize good baseball when we see it. There is a lot to appreciate about this year's Sox team. The starters have been dominant beyond precedent in the ALCS, the offense has been surprisingly productive and the defense has been top-notch. The White Sox are very, very good. None of us will deny that.

It's Sox fans we can't stand. During any given season, we generally don't care about what the Pale Hose are up to, but Sox fans are always watching us, waiting for our team to implode--as it routinely has in recent years, at various points following the All-Star break--so they can rub salt in the wound when it happens. The picture of a clueless, expressionless Steve Bartman sitting along the Wrigley third-base-line wall is still the preferred online avatar of Sox fans posting their anti-Cub rants on various Internet forums. To hear them talk about it, they hadn't experienced a happier moment in their baseball lives than that 2003 National League Championship Series until, well, Sunday.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As my name implies, I am a Cub fan. As such, my worst fear is a Sox/Cards World Series. Looks like it could happen. I will say this for the Cardinal fans, they support their teasm, win or lose. No objective soul can say the same for White Sox fans. To say Sox "fans" don't deserve a team in the Fall Classic is an understatement.

I am not happy for the city as only the south side is pleased. There is no justice. The baseball gods have seen fit to burden us loyal Cub fans yet again by allowing every call to go the right way for the Sox. WE deserve better as we ALWAYS support our team...and we are sober while doing it.

As much as I love baseball, I will not watch one inning of the World Series. I hear there are some good "Murder She Wrote" reruns anyway.

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cubbyfan, get over it.

while you are watching a television series fit for geriatrics, those of us who do live in the city will enjoy knowing that a chicago team (south side/north side, isn't it still the same town?) made it to the world series. whether the sox win or lose is not as important as paying some tribute/respect to the participating athletes' achievement. look beyond your petty borders.

10:43 AM  
Blogger ZombieDante said...

As one who grew up in the South side and moved to the North side, I can safely say that it is NOT the same town.

Go Cards. Or go Sox. I really don't care, but if it were the Cubs in the series, I would be sort of excited, believe it or not. The Sox are just like a softball team of something... I don't know why. I just never think about them, although I was excited when that idiot ran out and beat up the opposing team's coach. Classy Sox fan, right there.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home