Friday, October 21, 2005

An Open Love Letter

My wife has started to take classes on Saturdays from 8-5 to get all of her certifications from Microsoft. She takes these classes in Lombard. I am very proud that she has taken the initiative to better herself and broaden her horizons. However, because of this I am left in the house by myself. This has caused some different feelings for me. Mostly, I have to come to realize just how dependent I have become on Joyce.

At first, when she told me, I was kind of like, cool I can have the house to myself and walk around naked, drinking milk right from the carton, peeing with the door open and passing gas without fear of offending her. While I can do all of those things mostly, I am bored off of my ass.

I always start out with a list of chores I want to get done, like mowing the lawn or cleaning out the gutters. Then I will run some errands and what not. I usually finish most of this buy one o’clock leaving the rest of the afternoon for me to do nothing. I sit back and watch TV but I can only do that for so long. After awhile I get antsy and start missing having somebody to talk to.

This last Saturday I tried to think about what I used to do back in 1998 before I met Joyce. I guess I was different then, because I was usually just waking up at one o’ clock. I would usually then shower and grab some “breakfast” and then make some calls to see what was going on that evening. Back then I was usually hung-over so I needed that zone out TV time to recover from the previous evening. Now, I just sit back and realize just that I am no longer that guy.

Now, I have a house and have settled into the couple lifestyle. My sheets on my bed now get washed. I no longer own underwear from the Regan administration and when I put on a sock there is no longer this hour search to try and find a pair in a basket full of them. Now, I simply go to the drawer where Joyce puts them and she has them already paired up for me.

I guess it took missing her on these weekends to realize just how much I have become to need her. As much as I love to look back with nostalgia at my single years and going out with my buddies to all hours of the night, I would never want to go back to those times knowing what I know now. I never thought I would become that guy. The guy, that worries about his lawn and gets a hard on when he walks into a hardware store. Somehow, I’ve become that boring married guy that I used to make fun of.

But you know what, I have never been happier in my life. Sure, Joyce and I have our moments when we just get on each others nerves but, for the most part we get along now better then we ever did when we were just dating. I am at my happiest when it is just she and I doing nothing. Just sitting at home and doing nothing more than being boring. We finally fig red out the other person and we’ve accepted the other’s faults. We have found that precious compromise and the middle ground. For all of that I guess for the first time in my life I am actually content. I no longer feel I am missing out on something. I hope this didn’t come out as too mushy as I realize just how boring hearing about someone else’s relationship can be. So, if you feel I have been too sentimental please stop reading as it is only going to get worse.

To, Joyce since I know you read this, I say thanks. Thanks for everything you do for me and thanks for taking care of me. I am a better person today then I’ve ever been and I owe that to you. Thanks, for indulging my friends and going out of your way to make friends with them. Thanks for fitting in with my family and taking them all in with humor and genuine caring. Thanks for sticking with me and having the faith in that I would come to my senses. I know I say it a lot so the meaning gets lost but I really do love you, and I couldn’t be happier than I am when I am with you.

2 Comments:

Blogger joyceakajocelyn said...

Reading this brings tears in both eyes! You are the cutest man in the whole wide world! I knew it the moment I met you. There was something about you that I could not place. I know this sounds weird but I swear to god you dressed and smelled just like my dad so I knew it was a sign from him to marry you.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful sentiment.........you two are very lucky.

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home