Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Let It Snow

The forecast for tonight is three to six more inches of snow. This is on top of the three to six we had on last Thursday. There hasn't been this much powder lying around sine Club 54 circa 1977. Yes, the snow is a major inconvenience but since I work downtown and have less then a three-mile drive home from the train station, I can handle it. Last week when we got hit with that storm, I heard horror stories from friends and family of upwards of six hour drives home. Hearing them made me appreciate my train even more then I usually do.

The main issue with the snow is the removal of it from my driveway. My wife as have many others have urged me to purchase a snow blower. I have up unto this date refused to even consider it. I have many reasons for this. First off, it is a good work out shoveling. Sure, the heart attack risk is increased when you get to be my age but I so rarely get to work out anymore. Second, the chance of losing a finger with a shovel is nil as opposed to the snow blower.

You see shoveling is a minor inconvenience. Yes, it sucks being out in the cold but it takes me all of an hour to shovel my driveway. I figure I would save at the most fifteen minutes with the snow blower. To me I cannot justify spending a thousand dollars to save me the occasional fifteen minutes. If you hate shoveling that much, call a snow removal service. They usually charge fifty bucks. That means you can have them do their thing twenty times and you don’t have to lift a finger as they remove all of the snow with a truck. To me that is money better spent.

So, I know tonight that when I get home I will have to dress like I am running in the Iditarod. I will grab my trusty shovel and clean off the driveway, freezing my ass off. Still, I don’t really mind it. I like the winter in many ways. I guess if I had a long drive ahead of me tonight my tune would be different. Instead I realize living in this town we occasionally have to deal with the snow. I have come to terms with it and have accepted it as part of the winter. While it may be a pain in the ass at least I have a driveway to shovel. That in and of itself makes me not mind it so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home