Friday, March 31, 2006

So Long, JP Morgan

Sometimes it takes leaving to know how appreciated you are. I have worked at this bank for a little less then three years. I came in everyday and did my job the best I could in the framework that my management provided. I would complain about my clients, but in truth it was the couple of pain in the ass users that would get to me. I mean isn’t that always the case. You never remember the good people. At least, I tended to focus on the few negative experiences and ignore all the good ones.

Well, since word spread that I was leaving I have been beyond flattered with the kind words I have received. Not from my co-workers or management, but from the clients I support. And you know what, that means more to me then anything. It gives me hope and a feeling of accomplishment that my efforts here weren’t wasted. For my own humility I won’t get into specifics about what exactly I was told but the genuine sentiment and feelings of sadness that have come from my clients has been overwhelming.

Like I said this gives me hope. Sometimes I lost focus. In this field you have to like to help people. I sometimes forget what it is like on the other end. How when I go to someone’s desk and fix something how happy it can make them. I just brushed it off as just doing my job. I have come to realize from some of the comments by my users how rare that is. I have been told stories of how bad their service was before I got there and so on. All of which while giving me a big head also saddened me.

Sure, I am in a technology field but if you don’t like people then go become a programmer. My first priority has always been my clients. Making them happy makes me happy. Helping someone out and fixing something for them, gives me joy. That can get lost in the sniping and harshness I get from the few bad apples out there.

So, the fact that the current management at the bank failed to see my contributions no longer saddens me. I realize that politics is not my strong point and it seems that the only way to get ahead in corporate America is kiss ass and play the game. Simply going out there and doing a great job no longer matters. You have to let your management know you are doing a good job. You have to a self-promoter in this field and well, I just can’t do that. This is why it is probably a good thing that I am going to a smaller company with a boss I know and who isn’t lazy.

I know that if I go out and do a bang up job at my new company my boss will recognize it like he did when I was at Harris. It isn’t about money or a 401k plan. To me being able to wake up in the morning and go to a place where not only my clients realize my value but my management does as well. So, while I am sad to be leaving some good people and teammates, I am look forward to forming new bonds with a new set of co-workers and users.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home