Thursday, June 08, 2006

Cohen Brothers

I find the Cohen Brothers to be the best out there making films. In my humble opinion they have yet to make a bad movie. Considering how many they have made that is saying something. So, here is my list in order from my favorite to my least favorite (which I still enjoyed.)

1. Miller’s Crossing – Might just be the perfect film. An amazing cast and script. Gabriel Byrne, John Turturio, Albert Finney all shine in this story about an Irish mobster. Forever brought the term high hat into my vocabulary. That scene with Finney and the machine gun still makes me wet my pants.

Favorite Line: Verna: “Leo’s got the right idea. I like him he’s honest and has a good heart.” Tom: “Then it’s true what they say, opposites attract.”

2. Barton Fink – Turturio’s best performance and that is saying something as I think he is a really gifted actor. The story just sucks you in and grabs you. An ending that causes so many different ways of looking at it.

Favorite Line: Geisler: “You look confused. You need guidance? Talk to another writer. Barton: “Who?” Geisler: “Jesus throw a rock in here you’ll hit one. And do me a favor Fink, throw it hard.”

3. Raising Arizona – The frantic comedy that is just as great today as it was when I first saw it. Nicholas Cage does a great job bringing life to that character. I also believe that no one uses John Goodman correctly other then the Cohen’s and here is just one more example of that.

Favorite Line: HI: And make it quick, I’m in Dutch with the wife.

4. The Big Lebowski – Jeff Bridges will forever be the Dude to me. No matter what else he does in his career he is now the Dude. Another great script and great performances all around. I know a lot of Cohen snobs scoff at this one but trust me it is a gem.

Favorite Line: The Dude: Do you find them much, these stolen cars? Young Officer: Sometimes. I wouldn’t hold out much hope though for the tape deck. Older Cop: Or the Creedence.

5. O Brother Where Art Thou – Another great story. Cohen’s as usual get a great performance out of an actor. This time it is Clooney. The movie is somewhat a modern take on the Odyssey and is done with a sense of humor and creativity.

Favorite Line: Everett: Well it didn’t look like a two horse town but try finding a decent hair jelly.

6. Fargo – Probably, the most commercially successful film by the boys. An Oscar winning performance by Francis McDermont and a story that had a lot of things going on in it. Every time I go to Minnesota, I just think about that accent.

Favorite Line: Carl: You stay away from me, man! Hey, smoke a fuckin’ peace pipe.

7. Blood Simple – The first low budget film the brothers made, had a great performance by one of the best character actors working in M. Emmet Walsh. A spurned lover murder mystery with a bunch of plot twists. A newly restored version of the movie was released on the big screen a couple of years ago and I got to see it on the big screen.

Favorite Line: Marty: I got a job for you. Detective Visser: Uh, well if the pays right and it’s legal, I’ll do it. Marty: It’s not strictly legal. Detective Visser: Well if the pay’s right, I’ll do it.

8. The Man Who Wasn’t There – Another film with a great script. Billy Bob Thorton plays this role perfect and why he didn’t garner more acclaim for his performance I will never know. Not a perfect movie but still better then most Hollywood crap.

Favorite Line: Ed: Was that a Pass? Creighton: Maybe. Ed: Well your way out of line Mister.

9. Intolerable Cruelty – A comedy in which George Clooney does it again for the Cohen’s. Snappy and witty dialogue pepper this story about modern day divorce. Not their best effort but it is still a pretty good watch all in all.

Favorite Line: Miles: I told you she had dogs. Gus: You didn’t tell me they had a hard on for Anus Africanus.

10. The Hudsucker Proxy – The more I see this movie the more I like it. Tim Robbins, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Paul Newman all do great work with a good story. It took me awhile to warm up to this one but, after several viewings I have become fond of it.

Favorite Line: Amy: That’s a face only a mother could love. On pay day.

11. The Ladykillers – I didn’t hate this movie and I didn’t love it either. This is the only Cohen brother’s movie I am luke warm about. I give them an A for effort but it didn’t really do it for me.

Favorite Line: Gawian: You brought your bitch to the Waffle House.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home