Monday, January 29, 2007

Netflix Review Time

It has been awhile since I have done a netflix review. So here is a brief summary of the last ten films I have rented.

Grandma’s Boy – A sophomoric comedy from the supporting actors of the Adam Sandler films. It did have Linda Cardellini in it so, that helped it out, big time. Overall, it had some funny moments and since I expected nothing out of it, it served its purpose as it was mildly entertaining.

The Producer’s – Being a big fan of the Mel Brooks comedy, I was really pumped about this one. Sadly, I was a little let down. Who told Uma Thurman she could sing? Nathan Lane and Broderick are fine but she brings down the entire film. All in all it has its moments but I can’t say I really liked it.

The Descent – What a turkey. This movie is about a bunch of thrill seeking women that get trapped inside a cave and come face to face with a mutant form of species. So many things in this movie to hate, there is not enough room to state them all. Just, a bad, bad movie.

Manic – Story about a teenager who has trouble with violence so, he is sent to an institution. Rented it because, I am Don Chedale fan and he gives a good performance here. A pretty good movie, that I would somewhat recommend.

Little Miss Sunshine – I really liked this movie. Impossible to not have a smile on your face at by the end of it. Every actor in this one goes above and beyond and gives a great performance, with Alan Arkin (another long time favorite) knocking it out of the park as the drug addicted Grandfather. I can not recommend this one enough.

The Limey – This one was released a couple of years ago. Rented it based on a netflix recommendation and it was decent. A man in Brittan is released from jail and seeks vengeance for his daughter’s death in Los Angeles. Peter Fonda is pretty good in this one and I give it slight thumbs up.

The Boondock Saints – I rented this after hearing of the long and interesting story of what it took to get made. After watching it I have to agree with Harvey Weinstein who dropped this one. This movie is not as good or cool as it thinks it is. A bad story, with Willem Dafoe, who I normally like hamming it up the whole time. A big swing and a miss.

Three Extremes – This is three separate tails from three separate Asian horror film makers. The first two stories are exceptional. One about a woman who in order to stay looking young eats dumplings with a special ingredient. The second story is about a man seeking revenge on a film director. The third story is kind of lame about a woman who as a girl was in the circus with her sister and father. She accidentally kills them and tries to deal with it as she is now older. Worth renting for the first two stories alone.

The Squid and the Whale – Recommended by a co-worker and it was pretty good. About a boy and his brother living in Brooklyn as their parents are going through a divorce. Amusing at times, and Jeff Daniels and Laura Linney are solid as usual. Not a great film but, not a bad one either.

Zombie Honeymoon – Normally I love movies in the zombie genre. This one however, is beyond bad. I like camp and B movies sadly, this movie is not sure what it wants to be. It is not scary or gory enough. Which if it had a decent story I would not mind, but this doesn’t. Just a complete waste of time. Most amateurs could do better with a betamax and a boom mike.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought Uma Thurman did just fine singing and dancing..........Nathan Lane is a hoot and very under appreciated..

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home