Monday, March 19, 2007

Nick's NL Picks

With the season about to start I will as I do every year make my foolish predictions on the upcoming baseball season. Last year, I made some good picks (Like picking the Cardinals to win the World Series) and some bad one’s (Detroit finishing 4th and Milwaukee winning the wild card.) I will start with the NL first and post my AL picks in my next post.

NL East

1. Philadelphia – The Phil’s have some holes (Like RF and 3rd base) but, I like the overall makeup. They have the best and deepest pitching staff in the division and I will always take pitching over everything else.

2. New York – While you have to love the lineup that pitching staff scares the hell out of me. Tom Glavine is their ace and his days of being an ace are in the rearview mirror. Starting rotation is very suspect. But they will score runs so they should be up there all year.

3. Florida – The Marlins played much better then anyone expected last year. The question is will all their great rookies last year have sophomore slumps this year? They have the makings of a great staff but already health is a concern. Plus they have no proven closer. They do have a very good young lineup so, expect them to be competitive again.

4. Atlanta – The Braves after 14 years finally felt how it was like to have to sit and watch the playoffs. They are in re-building mode. They still have some nice pieces in Chipper and Andrew Jones but pitching staff after Hudson and Smoltz is young. They do have a lot of nice players and if they all blossom at the same time they could surprise.

5. Washington – Well, they are a complete mess. Their rotation is a joke. They have John Patterson and four retreads. I love the left side of their infield with Zimmerman and Lopez but they have way too many other holes. Looks like a 100 loss season.

NL Central

1. Milwaukee – Ok, maybe I was a year early in declaring my Brewers love. I really think they have the making for a very good team. They have four quality starters and a deep bullpen. They finally gave Bill Hall a position and with Weeks and Fielder this young team could jell and win this thing.

2. Chicago – Ok, maybe I am drinking the Kool-Aid but to me if they play to their talent they win. With the lineup you know they can score runs, so it all comes down to the pitching. Zambrano is an ace and the parts behind him are nice. This division is theirs for the taking as no one has really improved from last year in what was a weak division.

3. Houston – A confusing team. I love Oswalt and Jennings at the top of their rotation but after them it gets interesting. Bullpen also has holes. Lineup has two mashers in Berkman and Lee but other then that it is very ordinary. Even Rodger can’t save them this year.

4. St. Louis – No team in all of baseball has taken more hits in the off season then St. Louis. Other then Carpenter their rotation is in shambles. Sure they still have Pujous and Rolen but that is about it. Rest of the lineup is average at best. Also, they may have lost some of that hunger after winning it all last year.

5. Cincinnati – The Reds surprised the hell out of me last year. This team is very hard to gauge. I actually think their rotation has the potential too be decent as does their bullpen. The lineup has some glaring holes and too many hitters that are the same. In the end I just feel they got every break in the world last year and still couldn’t seal the deal.

6. Pittsburgh – Ahh, the Pirates. What a complete mess this team is. Their management has no clue. They have some nice hitters in Bay, Nady and Sanchez. Their pitching is another matter. With no clear number one their rotation has a whole lot of questions. The bullpen also is suspect which all leads to a last place finish.


NL West

1. Arizona – I am going out on a limb here but I really like what the D’ Backs have done. Quietly they have a nice rotation in Webb, Johnson, Davis, and Hernandez. If their young hitters all come together this team will be very dangerous. They are young but there is a lot of talent on this team.

2. Los Angeles
– The Dodgers have some nice parts but I am not sure they work as a team. They have a nice rotation and bullpen but health will be a concern. As for the lineup well, I have some questions. They had no need for Juan Pierre when you already have Furcal. They have no legitimate power bat in the lineup. But, in this division they will be in the hunt.

3. San Diego – The Padres have taken a step back in my opinion. Their biggest mistake was letting Bruce Bochy go. He was a very under-rated manager and will be missed. Rotation is decent and Hoffman is always there at the end. They just don’t have enough difference makers in their lineup to be a threat.

4. San Francisco – The Giants were old last year. So, instead of backing up the truck and getting some young guys some playing time they went out and over spent on Zito. He is a solid pitcher and so is Cain. But that it is it for their rotation. Lineup is way too dependent on number 24 and I just think he will be more of a distraction then he is worth.

5. Colorado – I like a lot of the parts of this team. Hawpe, Holiday, Tavaras, Helton and Atkins are all good ballplayers. I just don’t trust any of their pitchers. They have no one that I trust on the entire staff. While I know that they will score runs they have don’t have the arms to be competitive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home