Friday, February 16, 2007

Wow, What a Difference

I have been a member of Netflix for almost six years. I am fiercely loyal to the company for any number of reasons. Blockbuster has basically stolen Netflix’s idea and is coming after them hard. By having built numerous stores, they have an advantage in that you are no longer at the mercy of the US Mail system. You can return the videos at the store location. Despite this advantage, I am never going to switch. I have always hated Blockbuster, and did do for so many reasons.

Be it their insistence that the major Hollywood studios edit out graphic scenes or their horrific treatment of employees or the killing of thousands of independent, locally owned video stores, I have made it a point to not rent movies from them for years. You saw what kind of bastards they were when before Netflix when they were essentially the only game in town they raised prices and late fees. When Netflix first came out it was like a God-send. I finally had a way to rent movies without becoming one of the sheep and giving my money to the unholy corporate entity that is Blockbuster.

With the popularity of Netflix came the ultimate slippage of Blockbuster. So, to combat this Blockbuster came up with the original idea to start offering their own mail service. Now, I have nothing against competition, but there is no way I am ever going to switch over to Blockbuster. Netflix has treated me well. Whenever I have had any issue their customer service has been extremely helpful. Now, I know Netflix is a corporation just like Blockbuster but I would much rather give them my business.

On top of all that, Netflix simply has a much better selection. If you simply want to rent mainstream tittles or new releases then Blockbuster is fine. However, if you want to rent older movies or harder to find titles then Netflix is much better. Plus, with Netflix you get movies as they were intended to be seen by the director. Blockbuster’s habit of editing certain films is big brother like.

So, this is why I will continue with my Netflix subscription and no matter how much Blockbuster, offers Joe Consumer I won’t switch. For the same reasons, I won’t shop at Wal-Mart or buy any Disney products, I do so because I sleep better at night. I realize my one person crusade is never going to bring any of these companies down. But, at least in my own way I am fighting the power.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too will remain a loyal customer of netflix. You were the one who got me to become a memeber and I love their service.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home