Friday, June 01, 2007

I am Lame

Everyone, and I mean everyone has some part of them that likes a lame song or two. I admit to my guilty pleasures, so I give you a list. Here are ten songs that I normally would not under any circumstances like but for some unknown reason I enjoy. I am not proud of this, but in the pursuit of honesty I have to admit these musical sins.

Weather with You, by Crowded House – God, I hate myself for liking this song. I mean it is pretty bad. Still, there is something about that melody that I like. Crowded House had a couple of much bigger hits with Something So Strong and Don’t Dream it’s Over. But for some reason this is the song of theirs I really dig.

Babylon by David Gray – Well, what can I say, something about this song gets to me. I know I should hate it, but whenever I hear it I am fighting every urge in my body to sing along “Let go your heart, let go you head, and feel it now Babylon.”

Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Deep Blue Something – Again, for some reason I enjoy this one as well. A one hit wonder and this song is about as deep as a puddle. With the lead singer faking a lame British accent. Yet, for some weird reason I find myself mysteriously drawn to this song and it catchy hooks.

Wildfire by Michael Martin Murphy – One month while I was working at Kmart this song was on the tape that would play endlessly on a loop. I could not get it out of my head and it has been stuck there ever since. Yes, it is part of that generic early 70’s ballad genre. Still, for some reason, I enjoy this song.

Groove is in the Heart by Dee Lite – In the late 80’s and early 90’s there was a lot of really bad music. This song upon first listen belonged in that category. Then over time I started to get it. In reality it is hard to not like this song. It has a catchy dance beat that is impossible to hear without tapping a toe to and get my white ass moving.

Praise You by Fatboy Slim – With a name like Fatboy Slim, I should hate this one. But from that opening keyboard intro this song just sucks me in. Everytime I hear it, it puts a smile on my face. I won’t defend it because deep down I know it is wrong to like this song.

Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley – Before you nuke me let me explain. For some reason this has kind of become mine and Joyce’s song. Early in our courtship, in trying to make Joyce laugh I started singing this song to her for some unknown reason. Then one day we were at a record store and she bought me the Rick Astley CD as a joke. It was one of the first in many gifts she ever got me. So, from that moment on it has kind of been our song or at least one on which we have a fond memory.

Last Dance by Donna Summer – I hate disco music. I mean really, who doesn’t? But for some reason, this song always gets my Italian ass moving. Maybe it is memories of watching a young Jeff Goldblum and Donna Summer in Thank God It’s Friday. But, for some reason when I hear this song I can’t help but shake my money maker.

Machine Head by Bush – A silly, silly song. With lyrics that are just horrendous. Yet, for some reason if I hear it on the radio, I don’t change the station. Then by the end of the song, I’ve got the volume turned up and am jamming along as Gavin tells me to breathe in and breathe out.

Word Up by Cameo – I like this song simply because it reminds me of my senior year of high school. You know the more I think of it, I really am not that ashamed of this one, because it is a decent enough tune. That lead singers voice is distinctive, if nothing else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home