Monday, October 08, 2007

2008 Cubs

Well, the Cubs did it to me again. They sucked me in only to break my heart. I should no better but, I guess I will never learn. They are like the some enchanting siren, that you fall in love with only to have them leave you with a case of blue balls.

Anyway, with the season over let’s take a look at 2008. Let’s start with the position players. These positions are locked in stone in my opinion. Lee at first, De Rosa at second, Ramirez at third and Soriano in left. That leaves short, center, right and catcher.

Shortstop
Ryan Theriot did a very admirable job. I have no problem with him being the starting shortstop next year. Alex Rodriguez has been rumored to be a free agent in the off season and he has a history of playing with Lou Pinella. As much as that would be a wet dream come true, I don’t think it is going to happen, so by all means let Theriot start on opening day next year.

Center Field and Right Field
There are a lot of free agents out there for either position. Jaque Jones has one more year on his contract and my bet is he will still be here next year despite it all. Felix Pie is raw as we all saw. I still don’t think he is ready. He is still young and could use some more seasoning. Matt Murton showed flashes but I am not sure he will be a long term run producer. There is one free agent out there, I like he would could put in RF next year and could hit 5th, Bobby Abreu. Abreu is a free agent at the end of the season and I don’t think the Yankees are going to re-sign him. I know his numbers have gone down a little, but getting back to the NL would be huge. Plus this guy is a big time on base percentage guy and would really bolster our order.

Catcher
It was a tumultuous year behind the plate for the Cubs. Michael Barrett, Henry Blanco, Koye Hill, Rob Bowen, Jason Kendall, and Giovanni Soto all started games behind the plate. Soto to me looks like the real deal and could be the answer for some time. He and Blanco should make a nice combo behind the plate next year.

Rotation
Ok, we know Zambrano, Lilly and Hill will be there. Marquis is under contract, but I just don’t trust him. He took a crap for the most part the last two months. However, there is nothing out there even remotely interesting free agency wise so, he will be back. As for the fifth spot, I think it comes down to a competition between Kevin Hart, Sean Marshall and if healthy (a big if) Mark Prior. That is unless you can work a trade. The Cubs have a lot of chips for once. You offer someone a Murton, Marshall and Eric Patterson package you might be able to land a decent number two starter.

Bullpen
For the most part the bullpen we saw at the end of the year will be back. Howry, Eyre, Dempster, Marmol, Hart and Wuertz should all be back. Kerry Wood is a free agent and I am all for trying to bring him back. He quietly pitched very well down the stretch. Will Ohman should not be brought back under any circumstances. Aaron Fultz is a nice lefty reliever who is going to be out there. Go sign him to round out your bullpen.

So here is my starting lineup for the 2008 Chicago Cubs

LF Soriano
SS Theriot
1B Lee
RF Abreu
3B Ramirez
C Soto
2B De Rosa
CF Jones

That is pretty solid. You could even have Abreu hit second and move the Theriot down to 8th. Either way that lineup scores runs. It is up to Jim Hendry and Lou Pinella now. Let’s hope they have a good off season and we can at long last end the World Series drought.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nick Francone said...

I'd go after ARod real hard...I love Theriot but he's no ARod. It's probably a pipe dream so I am more than satisfied with Theriot at short.

Pitching still scares me, Headcase Zambrano, Lilly, Hill, Marquis and (?)Prior do not invoke awe.

I agree to keep Wood and I am surprising myself for saying that. He pitched well in relief....still wish he didn't give up so many long balls. Dump Dempster and go with Marmol in the ninth.

Oh well, it's wait 'til next year again.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home