Friday, November 09, 2007

On the Road Again

Next week again the postings may be sparse, as I have to travel to Kansas City for work. Unlike most work trips, this one I will not be online much as I have to do a move which means a lot of monkey work for Nick. The good part of this is that of all the places that I have to travel for work, I would probably rank Kansas City my favorite. They have kick ass barbeque joints and a pretty decent night life in the downtown area. I work in the Midwest region so, I support all of our offices in and around the area. Here is a quick ranking of the places I have to travel for work

Kansas City – Again great BBQ and a lot of nice bars (With Oklahoma Joe’s being my favorite BBQ joint.) The airport is a complete pit however. Still, all in all KC is not a bad place as at least there are things to do and they stick me in the Radisson which is a really nice hotel compared to some of the dumps my company has stuck me in.

Minnesota – I have had to travel here more then anyplace as this is where our corporate headquarters are located. Minnesota has its charms but can get boring. Once you’ve seen the Mall of America once, you are good. I try to get booked in the Le Bourget Hotel for its location and amenities. There are at least things to do in the Twin Cities. I highly suggest hitting St. Paul as it has a lot of interesting history and some nice older buildings and homes. The airport itself is pretty modern, so at least it has that going for it.

Novi, Mi. – We have an office in Novi which I have had to visit. Novi, is a suburb of Detroit. Detroit is a complete pit. Novi is basically like any other suburb in America. It has its standard Appleby’s and Lone Star. They throw me in a Courtyard by Marriott as it is less then a mile from our office. Not a whole heck of a lot to do in the town, but there are worse places to go I guess. Detroit airport is a nice ride from Novi and it is again pretty modern.

Indianapolis – Not my favorite place. First off we drive there. Second were our office is located is in a not so great neighborhood. They put me in a Holiday Inn Express which offers nothing in the way of niceties. You have to travel a little, but there are some good steakhouses in downtown Indy. A boring drive and a place that I try to avoid having to go to at all costs.

St. Louis – Another place my cheap company makes me drive to. I can honestly say, I hate St. Louis. It offers nothing other then Budweiser beer and bunch of mulleted white guys. I stay at a Comfort Suites and it is again, nothing special. Food wise, I stick to steak and shake. Thankfully, I have only had to go there once as my co-worker has family there so, he usually will volunteer for St. Louis duty.

Rock Island – No place worse on God’s green earth. First, they stick me in a Holiday Inn Express, simply because it is that or four hour nap, stabin cabin’s. The whole area is dependent on the Military base and John Deere. There is no nightlife what so ever. My co-worker and I wanted to go to breakfast one morning. We drove around aimlessly for almost an hour before settling on gas station donuts. The drive is about as scenic as an eggshell painted wall. Again, have only been there once and that was enough.

We also have an office in Milwaukee, but I have not had the pleasure of hitting it as of yet. I generally like Water Street in Milwaukee, but that office is usually supported by my co-workers in Minnesota so, it does not look like I will be making a trip there anytime soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home