Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A Rare Political Rant

I wasn’t meaning to write about this today, but I have to mention the speech that Obama gave yesterday in Philadelphia. To put it simply that was one of the best, if not the best political speeches I have ever heard.

It takes a lot to move a cynical old bastard like myself. His speech yesterday did just that. And I will tell you why it did. In it he talked honestly and openly, which is rare for any politician. He gave a speech that preached hope and tolerance and acceptance. He spoke intelligently and didn’t speak down to us.

Let me just say, this right off the bat. I supported Edwards from the jump. Sure, I liked Obama but, I just felt Edwards message resonated with me a little more. As time went on, and Edwards dropped out, I found myself in Barrack’s camp. I was a little hesitant at first, but as the election went on, I found myself being a bigger and bigger supporter.

Hillary has run such a mean spirited and dirty campaign she should be ashamed of herself. It is all about the prize for her. Helping people and bettering our country are secondary. Deep in my core, I feel Barrack Obama wants to help you, the average American. You may not agree with all his policies, but know this about the man. He will look at both sides of an argument before he makes any decision.

He will not govern by fear or by playing on white Americas emotions like the current administration does so well. In yesterdays speech he showed that he has the backbone to stand up to the slings and arrows the right wing hacks will throw at him. One can have faith, because he is far smarter them they are.

You see all they can do is make biased personal attacks. That is all they are good for. Distorting the truth to somehow make the man out to be less than what he is. Has Barrack Obama led a perfect life? No he has not, but who has? If all they can do is criticize his church and pastor then they are desperate. They are desperate because they are scarred.

You see rich white guys have been in power since this county was founded. Now, they are all cowering in fear that their reign might finally be over. So, they drag out his controversial pastor. Mind you Obama didn’t say those things, his pastor did. Obama spoke out in his speech against what Reverend Wright said. Apparently this was not enough, for the Hannity’s of the world.

But, you see, Obama could cure cancer and beer goggling and that would not be good enough for the Limbaugh’s and the Savage’s of the world. They would still find something about him personally to attack simply because that is all they know how to do. The good news is that Obama has shown the courage and backbone to stand up to these vicious attacks. (Including those slung by the Clinton camp.) If that doesn’t give us a prelude onto what kind of a leader he will be, I don’t know what does.

I know I am stating the obvious but our next President is going to have a very difficult task ahead of him or her. Cleaning up the earthquake of disaster that eight years of Bush and Cheney have left us is going to take a lot of heavy lifting and thinking outside the box. Obama is the only candidate I feel has the smarts and knowledge to get our country back on the right track. Hillary certainly doesn’t instill me with a lot of confidence. Her true colors have shown and anyone that can still support her after the campaign she has ran is kidding themselves into thinking she will be a creative and effective leader.

While everyone bitches about Obama and his minister no one mentions McCain’s kind words for Pastor John Hagee. This man has said some off the wall things about not only Jews but Catholics as well. Yet, all anyone can wag their tongues about is Farrakhan and Rev. Wright. Still, that is not why I can not endorse McCain.

McCain is a crusty old man who is as original as a stale fart. He has shown his lack of understanding of the issues numerous times. After being the anti-Conservative candidate on the right he, now is going out of his way to court the far right wing of the party. The reason he is doing that is simple, he needs their support to win. But by doing so, he is showing the exact lack of political backbone needed to make a great leader. I respect the guy’s service to our country but, that doesn’t make him qualified to lead our nation out of the mire we are in.

I believe in this country again, and it is thanks to campaign of Obama. If you would have told me a year ago, that he would be leading the delegate count and on his way to the nomination, I would not have believed it. The fact that he is, restores my faith in the American voting public. Hopefully they can look past the bile and filth the hate mongers will throw at him in November and realize he is the candidate that will most help the average American. And, if that happens and he becomes our next President, that will be the first step in erasing the nightmare of the last eight years.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nick Francone said...

Your comparison to Hagee is weak as McCain has not been an active member of this his church for 20 years. I was with Obama speech until he drew his grandmother into the fray. That pissed me off. Wright is an asshole who said a lot of asshole things. Obama at first said her wasn't there when the hate was spewing, yesterday he admitted he was. His continued association with this hate monger bothers me. I cannot vote for Hillary and I will not vote for McCain, I hope Obama can recapture my vote but right now I am wavering. And his wife scares me too...we don't need another "team" presidency.

2:12 PM  
Blogger 10withmop said...

McCain still actively sought this assholes endorsement. Read this article.

http://www.cjr.org/campaign_desk/the_mccainhagee_connection_1.php

3:46 PM  
Blogger ZombieDante said...

All I can say is this: There are people in my life, people I love, who have said some stupid, racist things in their time. I would hate to be judged by their words. Still, I would not denounce them though I would denounce the things they said. This is what Obama did. And the manner in which he did it was thoughtful and engaging, dare I say inspiring. Rather than employ the empty rhetoric common to political speeches, he actually composed a speech that addressed what remains one of the most difficult topics in our society—a topic too complex to be addressed in an easy, knee-jerk manner, which is often how both the right and left seem to deal with the subject. I think maybe he is too smart for politics. I admire that he feels he can make a difference in this sad, sad country.

And what about the republican presidents who pal around with Billy Graham and his homophobic, intolerant ilk? That seems to be acceptable.

Hillary would have sold out anyone close to her without thinking twice.

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home