Thursday, March 27, 2008

Some Netflix Reviews

Here is a brief synopsis of the last ten movies I rented from Netflix. By the way if you are a Netflix subscriber follow this link to become a friend.
http://www.netflix.com/BeMyFriend/P64Bcs4cgzPn8sXBn8jr

Deliver Us From Evil – Wow, was this a telling and riveting documentary. If you are Catholic, I implore you to watch this movie. It is the story of how one priest in Sacramento abused numerous children. The Bishop and Cardinal knew all about it and all they did was move him around. In my book, they are just as guilty as the pederast priest. Really, exposes the Church as the hypocrites that they are from the Pope on down.

Badasssss – Mario Van Peebles stars as his father in this re-telling of just what went into the making of Sweet Sweetback’s Badassss Song. Very interesting flick which was part documentary. A look back at gonzo filmmaking in the 70’s before there was really independent cinema.

Logon’s Run – I had never seen this movie and really wanted to. It is a bit dated and the story while interesting and different, did not deliver for me. Maybe, I would have liked this movie more if I had seen it in the time of its release. They are making a remake and hopefully it will update what is an interesting story.

Apt Pupil – I am a huge fan of the movie The Usual Suspects. So, I went out and saw this at the theater (which is also from Bryan Singer) when it first came out in 1998 and didn’t like it. It had been ten years since I saw it and thought maybe I wasn’t being fair. It turns out I was right in my initial viewing. While the premise was different the movie evolves into absurdity by the end.

Smokin Ace’s – A movie that could have been good, but sunk into complete shit by the end. Too cool for its own good, this movie is filled with good actor’s and just wastes all the talent it assembled. By the end, I just didn’t care who lived and who died. A complete mess.

Amazon Women on the Moon – A movie I originally saw in Dell’s basement in the 80’s. I remember really liking it at the time. It is from the same people who did the Kentucky Fried Movie, which is a classic. This movie is not in that league, but it is still pretty funny in spurts. My favorite is the Don “No Soul” Simmons bits.

For Your Consideration – From Chris Guest and his usual players comes For Your Consideration. I love Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show and A Mighty Wind. But, I think they may have run out of gas. This movie is not nearly as funny as their other projects. It has some moments, but overall it just kind of wandered off to absurdity.

In the Company of Men – After watching Thank You For Smoking, I became an Aaron Eckhart fan. So, I rented In the Company of Men based on no other reason. This turned out to be a very interesting movie. All I can say is man does Eckhart play a great dick.

Waydowntown – A Canadian film centering around four friends who have a bet to see who can go the longest without going outside. They all work in the same office building in downtown Calgary. Because of the severe weather they have there, it is possible to not go outside at all if you live downtown staying in the tunnels that connect the city. A good movie that lost me at the end.

C.H.U.D.- How did I make it through the 80’s without having seen this cheesy horror movie? Somehow, I had never seen it and after viewing it, I did not miss much. I love bad horror movies, but this was not gory or humorous enough for my tastes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home