Wednesday, July 30, 2008

What is on Nick's IPOD

I am going to do something very brave. I am going to without editing list the last twenty five songs that have been played on my IPOD. If nothing else this should show that I have a wide range of musical tastes. Mind, you these were all via the scuffle option and I share my IPOD with my wife. With that out of the way, warts and all here goes.


1. Cheating on You, Franz Ferdinand – I love this album. This song rocks big time. Great guitar track and a song that is impossible not to tap a toe along with.


2. Get Ready, Rare Earth – What can I say, I own the best of Rare Earth and when I was going through my CD’s and coping them to the IPOD, I grabbed it and copied this song. It does not suck, but not sure I would ever choose to play it.


3. Wild Boys, Duran Duran – Fuck you I like Duran Duran. Maybe it was growing up in the 80’s but I have a soft spot for this band.


4. Feeling Alright, Joe Cocker – I like Joe Cocker. It is hard not to. One of his best songs, but I prefer his version of The Letter.


5. For Once in My Life, Stevie Wonder – An old school Stevie Wonder Motown era jam. This is Stevie way before he jumped the shark in the mid 80’s.


6. Why Can’t We Be Friends, War – Every time I hear this song, I think back to the Simpson’s episode where Homer is about to fight Dredrick Tatum and this song is playing on his way up to the ring.


7. Beer Run, Todd Snider – For those who have not heard this one give it a whirl. It is a fun little ditty. All we need is a ten and a fiver, a car and a key and a sober driver.


8. Rebel Rouser, Duane Eddy – One of my favorite instrumental tracks of all time. I love those horns.


9. Lake Shore Drive, Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah – If you live in Chicago I think you have to like this song. I had forgotten about it and then there was an article about the song in the Sun Times a couple of weeks ago. So, I downloaded it onto my IPOD.


10. Don’t Get Around Much Anymore, Harry Connick Jr. – I expect to take shit for this one and more then likely deserve it. I am man enough to admit that I saw him live back in the day at the Chicago Theatre and he put on a very good show. Yes, I am gay.


11. Boom Boom, John Lee Hooker – A classic from a blues legend. Not much more needs to be said.


12. I Just Want to be Your Steve McQueen, Eytan Mirsky – This song is on the Tao of Steve soundtrack. I really like that movie, (I know it is a romantic comedy. But, it is smart and funny which is rare in that genre.) The soundtrack is a hidden gem and this tune is very catchy.


13. I’m Gonna Hate Myself in the Morning, Howard and the White Boys – I have a number of the tracks from the Boy’s on my IPOD. This is one of their early tunes that I think Dan wrote. A fun little song about drinking.


14. This is a Call, the Foo Fighters – I like the Foo Fighters. Give me shit if you want. (My co-worker and I argue all the time about them.) I love their first album in particular and this song is a jam.


15. On the Dark Side, John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band – Ok, not sure how to defend this one. I guess I can’t. I admit I like this song. It is a guilty pleasure what else can I say.


16. Crying, Roy Orbison – If you don’t like Orbison’s voice there is seriously something wrong with you. This man just had an amazing technique and Crying is so good it makes one want to actually shed tears.


17. The Spirit of the Radio, Rush – Ah, the back of the Argo bus, freshman year with Derek Bernal, Mike Martin and Ken Custer. A Rush cassette was on a permanent loop on the boombox we had.


18. I Alone, Live – Fuck you I like this album. Sure, Live is kind of a poser band but this album has an undeniable quality to it.


19. Oye Como Va, Santana – A classic rock track that withstands the test of time. Carlos is simply the man.


20. Middle of the Road – The Pretenders – I love Chrissie Hynes’ voice. I am a Pretender’s fan and this song is one of their rocking best.


21. Mary’s Prayer, Danny Wilson – Many forgot this late 80’s track. Not me. Again I have a soft spot for a lot of 80’s shit and this song falls into that category. Go ahead and nuke me, I deserve it.


22. Squeeze Box, The Who – The greatest fucking band of all time. Will always hear this song and think back to the Freaks and Geeks episode with Joe Flaherty listening to it and figuring out just what the song is about.


23. Carry on My Wayward Son, Kansas – I am not a Kansas fan. Not even sure how this got on my IPOD. I guess this is the only song of theirs I can stomach.


24. Strange Days, The Door’s – What is not to like about the Door’s. I am fan of this tune and its trippy feel.


25. Pride, Living Colour – I am a big Living Colour fan. I’ve seen them live four or five times. Pride off of their second disc Time’s Up still holds up as a good and meaningful song.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home