Thursday, May 05, 2011

Netflix Reviews

I used to do this all the time but haven’t done it for awhile. Here is brief rundown of the last ten flicks I rented via Netflix.

Sugar Hill – I have no idea why I rented this. I missed it when it came out in 1994. I like crime flicks but this wasn’t even that. It hit every stereotype of the drug kingpin who grew up in the tuff streets made it big but now wants out. Pass.

Stranger Than Fiction – For some reason I never got around to watching this one either, which is strange because I like Will Ferrell. This obviously is not your typical Will Ferrell Talladega Nights fare, but I have to admit I dug it. For some reason when I heard the premise it didn’t appeal to me and then like the ten year old girl that I am when I finally sat down and peeped it, I fell for it.

Once – I avoided this one like the plague. A movie about a guy and a girl who meet on the streets of Ireland and start singing together, is not my cup of tea. But, Joyce rented it and finally at long last got me to sit down and watch and I of courses fell in love with it. It takes a lot to melt my old, black, cynical heart and this movie was able to do that.

Inglorious Bastards – It took me forever to get around to watching this one. Most people I know loved it but I know my brother panned it. So, I walked on eggshells with it. And, I did find it enjoyable simply for Chirstoph Waltz alone. Yes, it is slow in many parts and I can’t say I loved the film. But, I liked it enough to give it a slight thumbs up.

Albino Farm – I dig bad horror movies, it is my weakness. I will usually rent the most ludicrous and B movie ideas out there as I find the films fun and they take me back to the classic Thursday Movie Nights we used to have in the house in Willow. This one however, just didn’t have enough camp in it for me to enjoy. The description sounded intriguing but in the end, it was just boring.

Dirty Filthy Love – This was yet another Joyce selection that I thought I wasn’t going to like and wound up enjoying. A British guy breaks up with his girlfriend and starts developing a severe case of OCD. He goes to a 12 step type program to try to deal with it and meets a woman with similar issues and you can take it from there. I laughed, I cried, I was entertained. What else could one want?

Notes on a Scandal – If for no other reason rent this to watch Cate Blanchett and Judi Dench’s brilliant performances. They are both feeding off each other, trying to out act each other the whole film. Story is somewhat interesting in a kind of opposite Lolita way. But the two crazy good performances are the main reason to watch it.

Rumble Fish – I remember seeing this S. E. Hinton adaptation back in the day and not liking it. But, I thought maybe I was too young to get it and now that I was older I would enjoy it. Sadly, I still can’t get into it. I tried, god I tried. I mean, I am a fan of Mickey Rourke, Diane Lane, Matt Dillon, and Dennis Hopper. Francis Ford Coppola is directing, I should love this movie. But, try as I might I just can’t say I enjoyed it.

The Lost City – I have no idea why I rented this, and Joyce claims she didn’t put it in the queue even though this is a movie that has her finger prints all over it. Anyway, Andy Garcia hams it up for over two hours on this turkey. It could have been good in the hands of a better filmmaker but the dialogue is weak and Garcia is even weaker as both an actor and director. There is probably a good story in the subject matter but, this movie is not it.

Adventureland – Another one I never got around to watching. I wanted to see it, as it looked like it might be good, but for some reason I just never took the time to sit down and check it out. When I finally did, I kind of liked it. I mean, Citizen Kane is safe, but the story resonated with me. I totally get that time of your life where you are still young and you have no idea what you want to do once school is over kind of thing. I had Kmart, the writer of this film had Adventureland. I have always thought that if I was talented enough there is a movie in that time I spent at the Mart. Sadly, I do not possess the skills to write that script.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home