Thursday, March 24, 2005

Beware Of A Giant Rabbit Bearing Peeps

This Sunday is Easter. I have always felt that Easter was the lamest of all the holidays. I admit, the reasons I feel this way are mostly selfish, but hey there are my feelings. The biggest bitch I have about Easter is that I don’t get any time off work for it. To, me if it is a real holiday than by all means somewhere in there I should get a day off of work for it. (I work for a bank so; we don’t get Good Friday off. On another note why is it called Good Friday when Jesus died on that day? Shouldn’t it be called Bad Friday)? Easter, falling on a Sunday means I don’t get to have a paid day off.

Also, by falling on a Sunday it means that I don’t have any time to recover before facing the corporate hellhole the next day. My Easter will start by getting my ass up at 7:00 in the morning. I have to then drive into the city to attend church with my in-laws. While, I despise going to church and feel like the biggest hypocrite in the world going, I realize that it is important to my wife so I go. And really, it’s only an hour I can do almost anything for an hour. (I said almost.)

Then it is on to brunch with Joyce and her family. I am not sure where we are going yet but I am sure it will be lovely. After brunch and waiting for my wife to cut her sisters hair we will be off to Westmont to my Aunt Kathy’s house. My mom, step-dad, brother, and my Aunt’s family will all be in attendance. I believe my Aunt is making both a Ham and a Turkey for the event. So, we will eat dinner there, yuk it up for awhile before heading off for desert at my other Aunt’s house in Bridgeview.

My Dad’s side of the family is celebrating at my Aunt Joanne’s house and we usually just pop in, grab a piece of lamb cake and some Jell-O. Of course the hidden egg ritual is still in full effect and even though I am thirty-five my Aunt still hides an egg for me. The day usually ends sometime after 8 in the evening and by that time I will have hit the wall and just want to relax.

As much as I may complain about the family stuff I don’t mind it. It’s the holiday itself that I find lame. I guess I just mind the travel and hectic-ness of it all. But, I’m sure one day as my family gets older I will miss these times so, I try to enjoy them as much as my cynical ass can. Easter in and of itself is a whole other matter.

Again, I am not a religious man. I don’t believe in any of it anymore. As much as people close to me still believe in the rituals and pageantry of the Catholic Church, I just don’t buy it. However, I do respect others beliefs, I just hope that others can accept mine. The whole lent nonsense to me is pointless. To base your entrance into heaven as to when you consume meat is a waste of time. I would like to believe that if there is a God there might be other factors that you will be judged on. Also, I never understood the whole Easter Bunny, coloring eggs thing. I get Santa and his myth. Some magical giant bunny that goes around hiding eggs and filling baskets with marshmallow peeps I just don’t get.

But, I guess live and let live. If you get something out of Easter, more power to you. I realize that again, I am pretty lucky in that I actually have three sets of family that look forward to seeing me when many more people have no one to spend the day with. So, in that light I can put up with some minor inconveniences. Plus, the next major holiday is not for eight months. Maybe Easter isn’t that bad after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home