Thursday, June 09, 2005

Nick's Top 50: 10-1

At last here it is. Nick’s top 10 records off all time.

10. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Mothers Milk – To me this goes down as the pinnacle of the Chili Peppers catalog. A disc released before they became the corporate sellout whores they are now. While I love all of the earlier recordings with their original guitar player Hillel Slovik, the debut of John Frusciante still makes me pulsate. You listen to their cover of Higher Ground and get blown away. From the franticness of Magic Johnson to the beautiful Taste The Pain, just sit back and remember just how great this band was at one time.

9. The Who, Live At Leeds – For my money the greatest live performance ever recorded. Recorded in 1970, when the great Who were firing on all cylinders this disc gives a slight glimpse into what many believe is the best live band of all time. Their classic version of Summertime Blues and the great A Quick One, While He’s Away are just some of the gems on this record. Trust me on this, if you want to put on a disc that gives you just an amazing live performance than put this in, sit back and enjoy.

8. Grateful Dead, American Beauty – All right, I am sure I will get heavily nuked on this one. (Particularly from my brother.) Let me just say a couple of things. I am not a dead head. I never was, and never pretended to be. I felt that whole late 80’s early 90’s re-incarnation was complete bullshit and was just a bunch of wannabe hippies who just wanted to smoke pot and not bathe. (Not there is anything wrong with that it just was not my scene.) Most of these people were born twenty years to late. With that said, I find American Beauty to be one of the greatest records ever recorded. Simple music that you can’t help but enjoy. So, even if you are not a dead head I implore you to give this record a try. Open your mind and you might be surprised what you find.

7. The Police, Synchronicity – Simply put the best of the Police’s many great records. How many bands can say their last effort was their best? Sure, it is was popular and I can go a lifetime with never needing to hear Every Breath You Take, but the disc on a whole is just solid. No weak points, songs that are just incredible, and a timeless sound that sounds as good today as the first time I heard it. Again, it pisses me off so much to see what Sting has become, but for a time he was doing it better than anyone.

6. The Who, Tommy – While many will tell you that Quadrophenia is the better of the two I am here to tell you that I still find Tommy to be a little better of the rock opera’s. Maybe it is because I grew up with Tommy. I have listened to this record so many times yet, I never get sick of it. Proved Pete Townsend’s genius and is without a doubt one of the most ambitious records ever. A true original that was way ahead of its time. This band is possibly the greatest of all time when you look at it from a whole. Four guys who just laid it all out and left nothing back.

5. The Beatles, Rubber Soul – The first great Beatles record. It was the first one to move away from the bubble gum hold my hand era. Sure, it had Drive My Car on it, (which is a song I do still enjoy) however after that it just is amazing. Released in 1965 it signaled a change in the band and music in general. From the amazing In My Life to the classic Michelle after forty years it still holds up.

4. Genesis, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway – A musical masterpiece. Timeless classic, which showed the early brilliance of Peter Gabriel. This was Genesis before Phil Collins ruined it. From the opening chords it sucks you in and takes you on a musical experience that nothing you will ever hear will rival it. I will never get tired of listening to it and if you cannot enjoy and appreciate the brilliance of this record than by all means stop reading this as you have no taste. (I know that sounds elitist but that is how strongly I feel about this album.)

3. Nirvana, Nevermind – A disc that changed music. No matter what you may think of this band there is no denying that they changed music. This album was the last nail in the hair band heavy metal coffin, and for that alone one should be grateful. A disc that the threesome put together and it made history. It gave birth to the term grunge, (even though Cobain hated that term) and released a ton of knock off wanabe alternative rockers onto the world. Sure, Cobain had his issues and was a coward for killing himself, (of course if you lived with Courtney Love you might want to blow you head off to) but, that should not take away from just how amazing a record this is.

2. The Beatles, The Beatles (The White Album) – To me this is the greatest in a series of great records by the foursome. Joe Walsh said it best, “If you want to learn how to play guitar, learn how to play the White Album.” This double record is the one where you could see the division in the band. You had Paul with his Ob-La-Di and John with his Dear Prudence. No two songs seemed to sound the same and yet it somehow all works. While many will argue that the White Album is a cop out of a choice, no other Beatles record has caused as much debate among my friends and myself. It is a classic for all time and just like Nevermind, it changed music.

1. The Clash, London Calling – So here we go, yes, my favorite record of all time is the mighty Clash’s London Calling. More than just a punk record it is an amazing assortment of songs that you cannot help but love. Joe Strummer and Mick Jones created something that goes beyond words. I found this disc in my late teens. I bought it on the recommendation of a friend and at the time I had not had much of a history with the Clash. As soon, as I heard it I was a fan, and would be for life. Beyond punk and beyond labels they created a record that has withstood the test of time and for me remains the greatest music ever recorded.

2 Comments:

Blogger ZombieDante said...

Okay.

I agree with London Calling. Good choice. Hard to argue-- it may be the best rock and roll album ever, and it is a rock and roll album more than a punk one if anyone wants to split hairs. That record has it all. “Spanish Bombs”, “Rudy Can’t Fail”, “Death or Glory”, “Guns of Brixton”, hell, every song is great. I would take it over the White Album any day, and I say that because many consider this to be the White Album of punk rock, the way De La Soul Is Dead is the White Album of hip hop.

I also agree with you on The White Album. Personally, I’m more of a Revolver fan than Rubber Soul, but that’s an old debate.

You know how I feel about the Dead, so we’ll leave that alone.

As great as Synchronicity is, Regatta de Blanc is a million times better and definitely the best Police record.

Can’t argue Lamb Lies Down either. I’d put it up there.

Well, I am one of those who believe that Tommy is good but it was just preparation for Quadrophenia, which is the Who’s masterpiece. Better than Who’s Next even. Still, Live at Leeds is essential, and yes, the best live record ever from one of the only bands from the late 60s and early 70s that really mattered. Nothing beat the Who. The Kinks and Zeppelin came close, but the Who always gets my vote.

I was considering stealing you idea for my blog, but I’ll just post my simple version here in case you or anyone wants to debate. My 50 favs (plus one or two more for good measure) in no real order:

Chocolate Synthesizer – Boredoms
Quadrophenia – The Who
Hairway to Steven – Butthole Surfers
Box of Bongwater (the 4 disc collection) – Bongwater
Disco Volante – Mr. Bungle
Streetcleaner - Godflesh
London Calling – The Clash
Twisted and Bent – Bad Boy Butch Batson
Death and the Maiden – Schubert
Brandenburg Concertos – J.S. Bach
Torture Garden – Naked City
Beelezbubba – Dead Milkmen
We’re Only In It For the Money – Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention
Einstein on the Beach – Phillip Glass
Rain Dogs – Tom Waits
Mingus Ah Um – Charles Mingus
Village Green Preservation Society – The Kinks
Shut Up, Little Man! – Peter and Raymond
Complete Recordings – The Shaggs
Kill the Child – Swans
Goodbye Cruel World – Brutal Truth
Reign in Blood – Slayer
New Skin for the Old Ceremony – Leonard Cohen
Stag – Melvins
Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons – Blonde Redhead
Leaves Turn Inside You – Unwound
Plastic Surgery Disasters/In God We Trust, Inc. – Dead Kennedys
Gentleman – Afghan Whigs
Fantomas – Fantomas
Back to the Mono Kero – eX-Girl
Charlie – Melt-Banana
Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain – Pavement
California – Mr. Bungle
Buhloone Mindstate – De La Soul
Cell-Scape – Melt-Banana
All Rise – Naked Raygun
Locust Abortion Technician – Butthole Surfers
Pop Tatari – Boredoms
Super Ae – Boredoms
A Love Supreme – John Coletrane
The Bootlicker – Melvins
The Flat Earth – Thomas Dolby
Swordfishtrombones – Tom Waits
The Black Rider – Tom Waits
Live at Leeds – The Who
In Utero – Nirvana
Pulse Demon – Merzbow
Angel Dust – Faith No More
If I should Fall From Grace With God – The Pogues
Small Change – Tom Waits
Walk Among Us – Misfits
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway – Genesis
Repeater – Fugazi
Master of Puppets – Metallica
Houdini – Melvins
Liveage – Descendents
Allroy’s Revenge – All
The Gift – John Zorn
Rant in E Minor – Bill Hicks
It’s Understood – Estratosphere

2:18 PM  
Blogger ZombieDante said...

I forgot "The Entertainer" and "America Needs Rock Star Club" by the band Rock Star Club, perhaps the greastest unsigned band ever. both are CDs I have listened to over and over ("The Entertainer" 13 times one day) as they are rock and roll done perfectly. Now my list is complete.

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home