Monday, October 31, 2005

More Netflix Rentals

Here is a quick synopsis of the last five films I’ve rented at Netfix.

Laurel Canyon – A recommendation from a friend that I normally trust. While Christian Bale and Francis McDormand deliver the goods, the story itself while interesting kind of disappoints in the end. I can’t say I hated it but I can’t recommend it either.

Million Dollar Baby – I like Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman and Hillary Swank, however I did not care for this movie. If this was the best movie last year then, it must have been a very poor year. A predictable story in which I saw the ending coming from a mile away. Again, I cannot recommend this one.

Sin City – A great looking movie. If you like blood and gore then by all means rent this one. The story line rotates between various tales involving multiple characters so if you are looking for a standard three act, point A to point B movie this is not it. However if you want to watch a great looking movie with some great short stories please rent Sin City. It is one of the best movies I’ve seen in awhile.

Crash – I heard a lot of good things about this one and overall it was very good. I had some issues with it but they are very minor. A story that deals with race and stereotypes and does so in a way, in which you actually are forced to think about things after viewing it. Because of that I would have to say, if you haven’t seen this one, rent it.

Suicide Kings – I’d seen this years ago, but I was kind of drunk when I did and I remember thinking it was over rated so, after many had told me to give it another try, I did. I must say my drunken initial response was accurate. I love Walken and thought he was great but, I just didn’t like anybody else in the movie and I thought the whole thing was not as cool as it thought it was. I know a lot of people like it, but I still don’t.

6 Comments:

Blogger ZombieDante said...

I really liked Suicide Kings. I don't know, I think it was Walken and Dennis Leary that sold me.

Sin City is fantastic.

And I liked Millon Dollar Baby a lot. But I'm a sucker for boxing movies, even Girl Fight.

Interesting that we disagree a little, and to add one more: I thought Crash was pretty bad. I much prefer the David Cronenberg movie of the same name about people sexually attracted to car wrecks. Speaking of... did you see A History of Violence? I liked it a lot. David's still got it.

5:08 PM  
Blogger 10withmop said...

I guess we will have to disagree on Suicide Kings and Millon Dollar Baby.

As for Crash, I agree the Cronenberg movie of the same name is much better. That was a film that stayed with me for weeks. I also agree that the current Crash has some flaws. (Such as the whole Don Chedale story line) However, there was enough good things in it that I liked it. It kind of reminded me of a film I realy like but I know you hate in Traffic.

I have not seen A History of Violence, but it is on my radar.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought Million Dollar Baby was just excellent and quite deserving of its accolades.

Sin City, on the other hand, was just OK. You know I absolutley love blood and gore but the comic book style was lost on me.

I thought Crash was terrific and I gave it 4 starts which I am very discriminating in dispensing.


My recent Netflix experiences have all been busts....."Batman Begins", "In Dreams" (I love Annette Benning)"Boogeyman" and the updated "Ammityville Horror" all stunk.

6:28 PM  
Blogger ZombieDante said...

Batman Begins was great!

8:33 AM  
Blogger 10withmop said...

I agree I thought Batman Begins was one of the best super hero movies ever. Blows away the 89' Batman Tim Burton fiasco.

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must be a generational thing........

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home