Friday, November 04, 2005

What Nick Watches

Television has become a wasteland of bad jokes and laugh tracks. TV writers can’t come up with an original idea to save their lives. There are so few good shows on that without cable I am not sure how anyone could even stand the medium. With that said there are still a couple of good shows out there. Here is my list of what I still watch.

The Simpson’s – Is it as good as it once was? Well, no it isn’t. However even at 80% this show is still better then most anything else on. It still has the wit and conscience that has made it funny after all these years. Simply put this may be the greatest written show of all time.

Curb Your Enthusiasm – Larry David just makes me laugh. I love him, and the whole cast. Plus, it is a vehicle for Richard Lewis who always makes me laugh even if his act is as stale as a BTO concert. The neurotic David alienates many viewers but damn it I love him and this show.

My Name is Earl – With Jason Lee starting I was going to watch, as I am a fan. I was happily surprised as this show is actually very funny. It does not have an annoying laugh track and makes one actually try to find the humor on their own. Lee is of course great as always as is Ethan Suplee as his brother.

Arrested Development – Proof that there is great talent and fresh ideas out there. A great ensemble cast and what they get away with on network TV gives me hope that adult comedies still can exist in this day and age. If you haven’t caught on to this show yet, trust me, it is pure genius.

Law and Order and Law and Order SVU – This is still a quality show after all these years. I miss Jerry Orbach on the OG Law and Order but it is still pretty good. SVU has only gotten better. It took me a while to warm up to this show but now, I love it.

The Soprano’s – Yes, this show is still on the air even though it has been almost two years since they had a new season. I can’t wait until March when the next and possibly last season starts.

Rescue Me – This great show is on F/X and it is maybe my favorite of them all. Someone finally figured out how to use Dennis Leary’s talents. It’s second season just ended and it sucks knowing I have to wait another year for season three but trust me the wait is worth it.

Scrub’s – One of the best-written and acted shows on television. Sadly, it is on hiatus as NBS has decided to air the Biggest Loser in its place. No laugh track and a show that while being overly sappy sometimes still makes up for that with original humor

Honorable mention to Family Guy, American Dad, Entourage and The Office, which can all, be very good at times.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only shows on your list I watch are Curb and Sopranos. It is quite evident that Larry David was the brains behind Seinfeld.....Sopranos has been off so long I forgot what was going on............

What's with this word verification crap? We're not trading government secrets!

6:38 PM  
Blogger 10withmop said...

No, with the word encryption on it is supposed to help with spam posters. So, we shall see if it helps.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home