Wednesday, January 04, 2006

NCAA Bore Fest

Tonight is the championship game for the NCAA college football season. And, I for one could not care less. Yes, I am a football fan so one would assume that I would have some interest in the outcome of this game. Sadly, with the way that college football is run it is hard to get behind it’s BCS championship game.

I have a lot of issues with college sports in general but when it comes to football I save my biggest bitches for it. First off, college football is boring. I like pro football much more. College games take forever because of the incessant clock stoppages. The clock stops so often that many games can last over four hours. After every first down the clock stops. Every time a player goes out of bonds the clock stops. I mean it is slower then cooking with a crock-pot.

Another big issue I have with the sport is the money aspect. Money rules college football. It has created a completely unfair, unholy alliance called the bowl championship series. The BCS takes the supposed best eight teams and puts them in four lucrative corporate sponsored bowl games. However, if you happen to be a smaller school without a large fan base you can forget getting into a BCS game. How else can you explain Florida State ranked 22nd in the country getting into the Orange Bowl?

It seems silly to play for four months only to have a computer pick which are the two best teams. A couple of years ago USC got screwed out of the championship game by the computer. Every other level of NCAA football has a playoff system except for division one. So, why division one cannot get off of its ass and come up with a fair system in which we have a legitimate playoff is beyond me. Therefore, I have always felt that the college football championship is hollow.

Another reason I kind of don’t follow college football is that I live in Chicago. I went to De Paul, and we didn’t even have a football team. A lot of Chicagoans then root for either Notre Dame, Illinois or Northwestern. I have issues with all three schools. My Norte Dame hatred has been well documented so I won’t go into it. Illinois is located in Champaign, which is a one-stop light hillbilly town, which thinks having a Denny’s makes you a real city. I used to pull for Northwestern until I spent some time in Evanston. I have never run across more elitist yuppie scum in my life. It makes it very difficult to align oneself with that institution.

So, therefore I really don’t have a rooting interest in one school and that kind of makes me kind of not really care about college football. Therefore, tonight I will be watching a Soprano’s rerun and Law and Order. I guess if I had to pick I would want USC to win. Simply because there is no way on this green earth that I will ever root for anything having to do with the state of Texas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home