Monday, January 23, 2006

White Castle and Miller High Life: A Winning Combanation

As I wrote about in great detail last year I spend the football playoffs with my friends having a good old time eating, drinking and passing gas. So, far this year I have lost my ass with the strip cards but I’ve eaten some good food and had a lot of laughs. Here is a brief rundown so far.

For the first round of the playoffs I was off to Homer Glen to my friend Kevin’s house. It was one day after having my wisdom teeth removed so I was not drinking. Not wanting to walk into a house empty handed I stopped at the White Castle and picked up a crave case. That is thirty hamburgers for those not schooled in the White Castle sizes. My logic was that since my jaw was still a little sore, I could eat the sliders simply because they are small and soft. I was right, I could eat them and man did I eat them. There were beef sandwiches and pies and all of this other food flying around but I stuck with my easily chewed burgers. It was nice being 100% sober for once and I caught up with some friends. As for gambling I bought into eight quarters worth of strip cards and I lost them all. Leaving me at 40 in the hole.

For week two I made two stops. On Saturday I was off to my friends Wally’s house in Hickory Hills. I figured since the tradition was started that I would bring a crave case to each week’s games. I also picked up my standard twelve pack of Miller High Life. Wally had a fish fry going. I am not a big fish guy but there were other things to chow on. It was a long night and my friends were passing out all over the place. Eventually an over eager friend of mine tackled me as I sat in a Lazy Boy. As for gambling luck would be on my side for once as I won two of the eight quarters I wagered on. So, for the night I was up $60 putting me at $20 to the good for the playoffs.

On Sunday it was off to my friend Brian’s house in Willow Springs. There his girlfriend had a smorgasbord of good food, but it was very gas producing. There were dueling crock-pots of cocktail weenies and meatball’s. When I say I had over forty of them I am not exaggerating. Wally later on grilled some real good Italian Sausage. Sadly, though we had to watch the Bears season come to an end. I again consumed some Miller High Life’s and was thankful it was MLK weekend so I would have the next day off. In the gambling department I only wagered on the Bears game so I only threw down 20. I lost the first three quarters when I pulled the one for the fourth. The score was 23-21 when Carolina scored a late touchdown making it 29-21. All Carolina had to do was kick an extra point and I was going to be 50 bucks richer. So, of course the kicker missed the chip shot and I was no back to even for the playoffs.

For Championship Sunday I was off to a friend Pat’s house in Alsip. I again made my stops for sliders and the High Life. Pat has been hosting championship Sunday for years. His wife makes some mean food with beef, pasta, toquito’s, tamale’s and numerous dips on the menu. So, there I sat laughing and watching the action with my posse. There were eight quarters to gamble on. For these games we decided to make the last quarter ten bucks instead of five. So, I put down 25 bucks for each game and I didn’t win shit. So as I look at it so far I have wagered on 28 quarters of football for these playoffs and I have won exactly two of them. Still, I am only down 50 as I head to my friend Mike’s house in Mt. Greenwood for the big game. All I need to do is hit one of the four quarters to make my money back. Still, even if I lose, it is still worth it to me for all the good times and laughs I have during the games. Once they Super Bowl is over, I have a couple of months off as I wait for the baseball season to start, for which I cannot wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home