Monday, January 09, 2006

Nick's Recovery

As I stated in my last post I got my two right wisdom teeth removed on Friday. The surgery in and of itself went rather well. Joyce was kind of enough to get me home and take care of me. As I sat at home on Friday, high on Vicodin and not able to really do much I again realized just how easily I become bored.

On Friday I was basically out of commission. So, I had three new videos fresh from netflix and a bunch of saved programming on my DVR. Even with all of that I was still getting antsy. Without much other choice, I watched all three videos and blew through some Arrested Development and family Guy episodes I had saved up. However, after sitting on that couch that whole time unable to eat anything other then scrabbled eggs and pudding I was getting loopy.

On Saturday Joyce had her class and then after that she had to go into work. The football playoffs had arrived and I really wanted to go to my friend’s house (like I do every year) and watch them. I was still on Penicillin so I knew that I would not be able to drink. Knowing this I knew that my enjoyment of the proceedings might be a little stunted. I also knew if I was going to drive out to Homer Glen that I would have to discontinue the Vicoden and take Tylenol for any pain.

So, I made the decision to live with Tylenol and make the trek to my friend’s house. Another couple of hours in that house by myself and I would have been literally climbing the walls. I had a little discomfort but I am a big boy and I knew I could deal with it. Not being able to drink caused a bit of a problem in that I hate going to a party empty handed. So, if I couldn’t drink I wasn’t going to bring beer. So, I decided to stop at White Castle and buy a crave case. The case costing $17 dollars gave me my first excuse to use a credit card at White Castle. I guess I can cross another one off my list of things I thought I would never do.

So, I got to the Conway’s and made the rounds with my posse. I found out my friend Zar had broken his leg on Christmas morning. Interestingly enough he broke it walking to church. He was walking and he was going to meet his wife there when he slipped on the ice. He was sitting there with a broken leg by himself and no cell phone. He literally had to crawl three blocks back to his house. He had ten screws inserted and will have to be off of his feet and work for three months. So, after hearing this, my petty complaints about a day seemed trite. If I had to be off of my feet for three months I am pretty sure Joyce would file for divorce because I can only imagine the raving lunatic that I would turn into.

After catching up with the guys, I sat back and watched some football while drinking some nice, clean, refreshing, water. Even without the alcohol it was still fun to gather around and talk to everyone and have some laughs. Sure my jaw hurt from time to time but I made the best of it. There was a ton of good food there that I couldn’t eat so, I just munched on a couple of White Castle’s, (by the way, if you ever have wisdom teeth removed white castle are small enough in that you can still enjoy them after the procedure) and lost some money gambling on the games. All in all I still was able to enjoy myself. Sure, it probably hurt my recovery time a little as I should have just stayed home and not stood around talking and laughing so much. But, this way I was able to re-gain some of my sanity and I am sure make me much more tolerable to put up with for Joyce.

3 Comments:

Blogger joyceakajocelyn said...

Come on I would take care of you no matter what honeybunny. I love you so much that I would even wipe your sphinter if you couldn't do it.

12:09 PM  
Blogger 10withmop said...

You say that now.

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH Nick....I still haven't had my wisdom teeth pulled. I'm too chicken. Are you doin OK now?

And Joyce is so sweet....She would join me and your mom as the only other two people (that I know of) that have ever wiped your cute little bottom.

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home