Friday, September 01, 2006

The Big Easy

I takes a lot to move a cynical old curmudgeon like me. But Spike Lee’s four part documentary about Katrina did just that. Please I ask anyone who has HBO no matter your opinion of the who did what blame game just watch it. I personally blame this mess on everyone from Bush to Nagin and all the politicians in between.

My favorite quote and I am paraphrasing because I can’t remember verbatim what this one man said went something like this. “It scares me to live in a country where we have so many facts and so much information out there about just what our President did and yet you still have people who will defend this guy.” That is exactly how I feel. When Billy boy was in office, I had a love-hate relationship with him. He did some good things but boy he screwed the pooch on some others.

What shakes me and scares me to my core is the amount of passion some of these right wing whack jobs share when it comes to defending the continued blundering of their leader. Maybe they can not admit that they are ever wrong about something. I mean no one likes to admit that. But, how anyone can defend Bush, first appointing that incompetent under qualified crony to the head of FEMA, and then, waiting nearly five days after the hurricane hit to get off his ass and head down there is beyond my grasp.

I don’t want this to turn into a Bush is a moron rant because that misses the point. America in every form failed these people. When it was time to bring out our best, sadly it brought out are worst. From the idiots re-building the levees exactly like they were pre-Katrina to the heartless insurance companies who are not living up to their policies, this is a tragedy.

I’ve only been to New Orleans once but let me tell you I loved it. I went in my mid-twenties and had a ball. The sin and debauchery were like nothing I had ever seen. Here it was mid-June on a Tuesday and people were living it up and having a good old time. That is town that likes to have fun and isn’t ashamed of it. I for one hope beyond hope that we re-build the Big Easy the right way and make it what it once was. Because to lose that is to lose things I hold to be an American dear.

2 Comments:

Blogger 10withmop said...

I agree with you about the levees. The Army Core of Engineers is building them exactly the same as they were pre-Katrina and that makes no sense.

Yes, it was an act of God. It is his un-response to the event that pisses me off. It took him weeks to get his ass down on the ground to see the devastation. He appointed an unqualified friend of his to head FEMA. He was warned about the hurricane the day before and didn't send in the Guard for a couple of days. (Of course maybe if they weren’t in Iraq fighting a pointless and un-winnable war he might have been able to send more help.)

Here we had the biggest natural disaster in American history and this guy botched his response. I am not saying that the local government didn't screw up to. However, by saying that it does not absolve the President.

How can you defend the way he handled this situation? Do you remember this bad of a bungling during the Clinton or hell Bush the first administration? W. is going to go down as one of the worst Presidents ever. Bad is bad Republican or Democrat. Jimmy Carter as nice of a guy as he is, was over his head as President. I can admit that. Why can't you admit that this guy is a moron?

9:39 AM  
Blogger ZombieDante said...

Kanye West said it best whe he said, George Bush does not like black people.

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home