Friday, August 11, 2006

The Metrodome

I am in Minnesota finishing up a business trip. Last night I went to the Metrodome to catch the Twins game. I have now been to eleven different ballparks. (Which really isn’t that many when you think about the fact that there are 30 Major league teams.) So, here is a brief review of the ballpark.

The Metrodome is a very sterile in-door setting to watch baseball. It was a beautiful night out and he I was stuck watching baseball indoors and on Astroturf. The good news is that the Twins are building a new downtown outdoor park and it should be ready to go for the 2009 season.

Getting to the park was a breeze and there are plenty of parking lots and a train located right in front of the entrance. I got there a little early as I didn’t have a ticket and was able to score one at the ticket booth without much of a problem. Also, for baseball it wasn’t that bad price wise. I parked for 10 bucks and the ticket was $26 which is not bad.

I entered the park and grabbed a hot dog. I can not go to a new park and not sample the wieners. Sadly, this was one of the worst I have ever had. It was a plump, bland dog served on a hard bun. (One of the best things about a ballpark hot dog are the steamed buns.) I saw a lot of people putting ketchup on their dogs which of course is a mortal sin in my book. They did have some relish and onions out as well. I put the usual mustard and relish on mine but it did not help as the thing just plain sucked.

I then made my way to my seat. For as bad as the park may look I must say they have great sight lines. There are no poles in the way and I could see everything from my vantage point down the right field line. The seats are a little cramped but that is a common feature in most ball parks. I was right by the visitors bullpen which is right on the field, which I also like.

I would have grabbed a beer but they were serving them in plastic bottles which is a major sin. Beer in plastic takes like a vat of chemicals. So, I opened my program and sat down to watch the game. I will give Twins fans this, they are very knowledgeable. They gave a standing ovation to Joe Mauer when he simply gave himself up by hitting a ground ball to second to move a runner into scoring position. The myth about the Twins fans being apathetic is bullshit to me as they were into every pitch. They had over 30,000 for a weeknight game, which is pretty damn good.

As the game ended I left, and I will say they don’t have the most efficient way of getting people out of the place. I felt like a steer in a cattle drive but eventually got out of the place and into my rental car. I was on the highway in five minutes so, again props to the city engineers.

All in all the Metrodome was not as bad as I heard it was but it is still not a great place to see a game. I would go back simply because when I am stuck in Minnesota on business it is either that or hit the Mall of America. I think you know what I would rather do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home