Wednesday, August 29, 2007

More Observations

Here are some observations I have made over the last couple of days.

I could listen to Van Morrison sing the phone book – For my money this man may have the best singing voice of them all. Other then Brown Eyed Girl, I could listen to him sing anything and be entertained. I have always had a soft spot for old Van and the other day I was in my car driving to our Downers office, when Glad Tidings came on the radio. Now I have heard that song a number of times before but for some reason, this time the song really hit me. All I could think to myself is just what a great record it is, and just how underappreciated Van Morrison is as a vocalist. In a society where lame American Idol twenty-something’s warble out recycled old tunes, we should really appreciate quality singers and this man is one of them.

I have never seen so many Cub hats and shirts on the southside then I have this year - I have been a southside Cub fan for over thirty years with the exception of my couple of years at DePaul and my brief flirtation when I lived on the North side. As such, I tend to notice Cub memorabilia on the south side as I feel an instant kinship with other south side Cub fans. Well, it seems everywhere I go, the grocery store, bars, and restaurants I am seeing more and more Cub fans proudly displaying their colors in my neck of the woods. Not that I still don’t see Sox hats and shirts still, because I do. However, I have seen a lot fewer Choke and other anti-Cub shirts. I guess when your team is in dead last place and the other team in town is in first, it is kind of hard to rip on them. It is nice to have the shoe on the other foot for once. Coincidentally, I took names two years ago and all you turncoat Cub fans out there, you are not welcome back on the bandwagon.

I really miss Cub Foods – There was a Cub foods on 103rd and Harlem. I had been doing my grocery shopping there forever. I liked the store because they were reasonably priced, had a good selection of goods and for a Cub foods was really clean. It was a nice big store and I knew exactly where every item was as I had been shopping there for years. Well, last December all Cub foods in Chicago closed. This forced me to change grocery stores. Joyce and I now have basically two choices. There is a Jewel close by as well as an independent store called Freshline. The Jewel by me is small and Jewel’s prices, if something is not on sale are way higher then Cub’s were. Freshline is nice because it is an independent grocer but their prices are also up there. So, we are stuck and I am longing for the days of Cub’s.

I can not understand for the life of me how anyone, could still support George W Bush – Listen, I understand how hard it is for anyone to admit they are wrong about something. I at one time liked Dave Matthews, I was clearly wrong. Well, any man woman, Conservative, or Liberal that can still with a straight face support that jagoff, is just deluding themselves. I mean what will it take for these people to see this ass clown for what he is? His approval ratings are in the 20 percentile range, and they should be even lower. I could list all of his fuck ups and there are many, but that would like beating a dead horse. If you still can’t see this dickhead for what he is, then there really is no hope for you.

We need to re-adjust the size of items at fast food restaurants – It is very rare these days that I eat at fast food establishments. The other day, I was forced to go to a Burger King. I haven’t had a burger from there in forever. Anyway, I ordered a medium fry to go with my Whopper. I came to find out a medium is now there smallest size. The large is the new “medium” and the extra large is now the largest size. I got home and noticed my medium fry was about the size of the kiddie portion. Now, I know what you are thinking, Nick you don’t need anymore French Fries. Be that as it may, what was so difficult about calling things small, medium and large? Why do these establishments (and trust me Burger King is not the only offender) feel the need to make ordering a simple order of fries such an ordeal? Just one more reason to avoid these places, with their shit food, like the plague.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home