Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Summer Movies Reviews

I have seen a number of movies this summer. Here are my quick reviews on the films I have seen so far. ( I can’t wait for Superbad which opens on the 17th.)

The Bourne Ultimatum – Best movie I have seen this year. This series has rocked from the beginning and this may be the best one of the series, which is high praise. Just amazingly good action sequences. It is rare to find an action movie that has a plot, and this series has both. I hope this is not the end of it because I really enjoy these movies.

The Simpson’s Movie – As most know I have been a Simpson’s fanatic since before I was able to drink legally. The first half of this movie had me falling out of my chair with laughter. The second half kind of lost me a little but, still overall it was a pretty funny movie. It was also kind of neat to see the Simpson’s on the big screen with an audience, instead on my couch in my underwear.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix – I am not a big Harry Potter guy, but my wife is. She wanted to see it at the IMAX at Navy Pier so, we headed there to see it. The parts that were in 3D were really cool, but only like 20% of the movie is actually in 3D. As for the movie itself I will admit it is the darkest of the Harry Potter movies so far, and the one that I have liked the most. Will be interesting to see where this series goes, film wise.

Ratatouille – For a Pixar movie, this was pretty damn good. Of course having the main rat being voiced by Patton Oswalt didn’t hurt. Enough stuff in it, so that kids and adults will both equally enjoy this cartoon.

Live Free or Die Hard – As I mentioned in an earlier post, I really dug this movie. An action film that is heavy on the action and the quality kills. It is hard to sit back and watch this movie and not like it. It is fun, action packed and funny at times. Plus Tim Olyphant (who is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors) plays a great villain.

Knocked Up – I have been a Seth Rogen fan ever since Freaks and Geeks. So when he stole every scene he was in, on the 40-Year-Old Virgin it did not come as a surprise to me. I was really looking forward to this movie and I did like it. I still say the 40-Year-Old Virgin is a little better but this one is still funny for the most part.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds EndJoyce and I saw this movie at Hollywood Boulevard in Darien. Beer and a movie in theory sounds like a good idea. However, when I drink beer, I need to have to relieve myself more often. So, there were parts of this movie I missed to due to that. With that said, I didn’t really care for this one. I think they may have finally run this franchise into the ground. It was way to long and I was just waiting for it to end. Wasn’t the worst thing I ever saw, but was still a disappointment.

Spiderman III – I loved the first two films in this series and really was looking forward to the third installment. What a complete miss this movie was. I posted a lengthy review of this movie in an earlier post, so I don’t want to drone on about it again. Too many villains, bad plot and Kristen Dunst singing equals nothing but trouble.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home