Friday, October 19, 2007

Soups On

With the cold winter months fast approaching that can only mean one thing, it is soup time. I love soup. It makes a perfect meal on a cold day. There is nothing like the feeling of kicking back with a big ass bowl of soup on a January day. It just makes everything right with the world. Here is a list of my favorite and least favorite soups.

Favorite

Cream of Chicken – I could eat this one by the trough. Throw in some rice and I have a meal.

Cream of Potato – Another great cream soup. I like mine with some bacon thrown in. Dominick’s of all places makes a kick ass one.

Tomato Rose Marina – Specifically, Les Brothers version of this soup. I don’t know what they do to it, but it is killer. Used to have it as their soup of the day on Saturday’s and there were many a night I stumbled in and had a 3 AM bowl of it.

Egg Lemon – A Greek soup that I love. I can’t make a trip to Greektown and not have a cup. That creamy lemon mixture is to die for.

Egg Drop – My favorite Chinese soup. I like most of them, but this is my default. I know it is simple, but man I really like this one.

Chicken Noodle – The old stand by classic. For my money my Grandmother used to make a killer chicken noodle with these dot sized noodles. If you are sick in the slightest there is nothing more comforting then a bowl of Chicken noodle.

Matzah Ball – A Jewish delicacy. I highly suggest the Matzah they serve at the Bagel on Belmont. A cup of that and you are done eating for a month.

Pasta Fagioli – My Italian favorite. My Grandma has a friend, who used to make a big pot of it for the St. Joseph table. My wife also makes a killer one as well, after I told her how much I liked it.

Beef Barley – Another one I learned to love thanks to Les Brothers. They make a mean one and I also found a place in the loop that has a pretty hearty version.

Beef Vegetable – An old standby classic. I like it loaded up with potato’s carrots, beans, peas and celery. It is a simple but usually very good.

Least Favorite

Cream of Broccoli – To quote Newman from Seinfeld, “Broccoli you vile weed.” I can not stand it and this soup which seems to be a wedding staple, is horrendous. I get sick at the mere smell of it.

Cream of Mushroom – Another cream soup I am not a fan of. I do like recipes in which cream of mushroom soup is used such as tuna casserole, but the soup itself I am not a fan of.

Split Pea – Another soup that the smell alone we make me ill. After every Easter, my Grandma would use that ham bone to make her split pea soup. And every year I would either have to choke down a bowl or starve. You wonder why I was so skinny when I was a kid.

Clam Chowder – I am not a fish guy so it reasons that I would not a big clam chowder fan. I know it is very popular but, I’ve never been able to get past the clam part.

Cream of Spinach – I don’t hate spinach. I find you can hide it things and it is not too terrible. However in a cream soup it really sucks. Just a bad combo.

Cheddar Cheese – Cheddar Cheese soup just might be the most disgusting thing on this planet. I am not a big yellow cheese guy to begin with and this soup smells and looks wrong. Outside of being on top of a hamburger cheddar cheese should never be consumed.

Lentil – I have tried to like this one, I really have. Lentils are just so bland and tasteless that I have never been able to dig the soup.

French Onion – Another one that I just don’t care for, while it seems like everyone else in the free world enjoys. I think the Lipton mix makes a great dip but the soup itself I am not a big fan of.

Miso – Every time the wife wants Japanese food I know I am in for a bowl of Miso soup. I’m sorry but any soup with tofu in it is going to suck balls.

Cabbage – The diet craze soup that tastes like watered shit. Hey, I like cabbage and sauerkraut. But cabbage soup is atrocious.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nick Francone said...

I am not a big fan of cream soups........I too love a cold day with a hot bowl of soup. My favorite is Lipton's Chicken Noodle Soup with double noodles. I am also a big fan of Italian Wedding soup...Oh and I love split pea.

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home