Friday, March 28, 2008

Nick Food

I have always been loyal to certain foods and drinks. For example, you can thank me for the resurgence in Pabst Blue Ribbon. Pabst is proof that just because something is less expensive doesn’t mean it isn’t as good as higher priced competitors. I drank Pabst back in the day and never stopped. Even when no one carried it, I would seek it out and when I found it, I bought it. Then about five years ago, I noticed all the yuppie trendy bars in Chicago started carrying PBR again. It seems all the youngsters found out what I had been saying all along to be true. That Pabst is a pretty good beer.

So, with that in mind I give you five more food and drinks that are not really popular but should be. These are things, I still consume (or try to) but are not really favorites of the general public for whatever reason. It is my mission to make all five more popular then they currently are.

Green Sherbert – I have always been a fan of the lime green sherbert. Not only does it taste good, it is better for then you then regular ice cream. Dean’s makes a decent one that you used to be able to get at any Jewel or Dominick’s. I used to buy this stuff like mad, but suddenly for some reason, the cherry sherbert became the only one most stores carry. I like cherry as much as the next guy but the lime is my personal favorite. If you haven’t had it in a while do your self a favor and give it try. You will not be sorry.

Pineapple Upside Down Cake – Back in the 1970’s it seemed like you couldn’t go to a social gathering without someone making a pineapple upside down cake. Which, for me rocked because I really liked it. My Grandma used to make a mean version of the cake then for whatever reason, the cake went the way of 8-tracks and unicorn posters, which is a crime. I realize the rest of the world is in love with chocolate. Therefore, when most people eat cake it has to be from the cocoa bean. But, hey can I ask a favor and ask that the pineapple upside down cake make a comeback. I found that Panera has one in a bundt form and it is delicious. Don’t believe me, try one for yourself and come back into the fold.

Green River – Again when I was a kid it seemed like you could get Green River everywhere. Now, it is a little hard to find. I used to get it at MaryAnn’s which was a kind of hot dog stand on 79th and State Road. Nowadays, Lindy’s Chili still carries it. My wife is not a fan but I still am. It is very sweet and is kind of like a lemon lime, with more of a lime kick to it. (Again, my lime fetish.) Maybe it has been a while, since you had one, or maybe you never have either way next time you see one give it a whirl.

Pudding Pops - Remember in the 80’s when Jell-O Pudding Pops were all the rage. There was a reason for this, because they rocked. Then all of the sudden for some reason they went away. I am still not sure why. I have not seen them in the store in forever. I saw that the Popsicle brand now makes them. So, maybe they will make a comeback because they were great back in the day.

Salted Nut Rolls – You can find them in the candy section of most stores and they rock. Basically salted peanuts with this white nougat in the middle that is pure sugar. The result is a sweet and salty treat. My wife had never even heard of them before she met me and I gave her a bite of one, and she liked it. They have been around forever, and again, because most people when shopping for candy crave chocolate, this desert lacks the popularity it deserves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home