Friday, April 11, 2008

Sports Radio Suck Hole

Being a sports fan you would naturally make the assumption that I would listen to a lot of sports radio. I used to but, due to Chicago’s two sports stations both sucking big balls, I have kind of stopped altogether. Sports radio in Chicago has become a landing spot for either moronic former hot dog vendors or know-it-all condescending jerks. Here is my take on the two main stations in town, 670 the Score and ESPN 1000.

Score 670
6 AM – 10 AM: Mike North
– The worst of the worst radio programs in Chicago. North is a simple minded High Scholl dropout who spouts his simple minded sports opinions at nausea. He never bothers to check facts, when offering his opinions. He also, has started talking politics on what is supposed to be a sports talk show. It is really a complete black hole of intelligence on the Score in the mornings that caters to the lowest of the low.

10 AM –Noon: Mike Mulligan and Brian Handley – While Mulligan and Handley seem like nice guys they talk way to much football for my tastes. I think Mulligan knows his football but when he tries to talk anything else he seems lost. Handley is fine but, does not distinguish himself in any way good or bad.

Noon – 2 PM: Mike Murphy – Ah, Murph. I actually like Murph because, he talks baseball and he is a Cubs fan. Still, he is a major geek and plays too many games on his shows. Also, once he has his mind made up he rarely can be talked out of it no matter what. Still, I like him and it is one of the few shows I will still listen to when I get a chance.

2 PM – 6PM: Terry Boers and Dan Bernstein – Oh, how I hate these two jackasses. Bernstein is a know it all dickhead who enjoys berating the listeners with his superior attitude. He makes people feel like shit if they happen to disagree with him. Even when he is wrong he will never admit it. Terry Boers is no better. He thinks he is funnier then he really is and has a similar attitude to Bernstein. I can not stand either of these pricks and I can not understand how anyone could listen to them.

6 PM – 10 PM: Laurence Holmes – I like Holmes, actually. His show is entertaining enough but I rarely listen. His show airs at night and I don’t listen to a lot of radio, let alone sports radio when he is on.

ESPN 1000
5 AM – 9 AM: The Mike and Mike Show
– If you want to know what is going on with the New York and Boston teams well this is a good place to go. If like me you could give a shit, then avoid this program. Greenberg and Golic’s act is about as fresh as a Fonzie sticker on your Trapper Keeper. It is old and boring and their show is the same.

9 AM – Noon: Waddle and Silvy – This is probably the only show I don’t have a lot to complain about. I like Mark Silverman. He is a Cub fan and not a stupid one. He is honest about the team and gives pretty good insight on all matters he talks about. Waddle can get grating. He is a big time Republican Bozo and sometimes that thinking oozes into his opinions on sports. But by and large this is the one show, I will listen to on either sports station without cringing.

Noon – 2 PM: Mike Tirico – Why ESPN 1000 insists on going to a national program during the day is beyond me. I think it is because it is cheaper then hiring a local person to a do a regional program. Why Mike Tirico keeps getting jobs is also a mystery. He is as exciting as vanilla ice cream and offers no insight what so ever. He is a softball interviewer and I get dumber just listening to his show.

2PM – 6 PM: Mac, Jurko and Harry – I like Jurko, he adds some funny moments to the program. That is all I can say good about this show. Harry seems like a nice enough guy, but is a complete and utter nerd. Also, his half assed nonsensical opinions are almost laughable. He actually suggested the Cubs retire Mark Grace’s jersey. I have never liked Dan McNeal. He is another know it all, pompous ass who thinks he is smarter then he really is. McNeal just comes off surly most of the time. Since he steers the program, it makes it hard to listen.

7 PM – 9 PM: The Show – This is kind of a revolving door for ESPN 1000 hosts. It usually consists of two of the three, Jeff Dickerson, Carmen DeFalco and Jonathan Hood. I like Hood, even if he does get on his high horse a little too much. He used to be much better when he was on the Score doing impressions. Still, for a Sox fan I can handle him. Dickerson isn’t bad either. Is more of a football guy and he does know the sport. Carmen is an annoying Sox fan. In small doses I can handle him, but eventually he irritates me. Again, in this time slot I don’t listen very much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home