Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Some Netflix Reviews

I have not written a Netflix review in a while. So, with that in mind here is a brief review of the last 10 movies I have watched from Netflix.


Session 9 – I have zero idea why or how this movie ended up in my queue. It stars David Caruso, I think that is all I need to say. It is about an asbestos removal crew that is charged with removing said asbestosis from an abandoned mental institution. I am sure you can figure out where it goes from there. It sucked.


S.O.B. – In the early days of cable, I remember watching this movie and laughing. I had not seen it in years. One day I was browsing the netflix library and saw this title. So, I decided to see it is holds up. It does not. As I was watching I remembered, I was 12 when I saw it originally. I guess my sense of humor has changed since then.


Body Double – Another movie I had not seen in almost twenty years. I remember liking it back in the day. Again, I was disappointed as it did not hold up as well as I thought it would. It wasn’t a bad movie, just not as good as I remember it being.


Sexy Beast – Now, I had seen this one back when it came out and wasn’t that impressed with it at the time. Numerous people have implored me to give it another whirl and upon my second viewing I must say, I liked it. Sometimes you need to see a movie twice to appreciate it. I still don’t think it is a masterpiece but it is a good story and Ben Kingsley is a bad ass.


Champion – This is a documentary about character actor Danny Trejo. For those that don’t know his story Trejo was a former inmate who after his incarceration eventually found his way to become an actor and a good one at that. This is a really good look at a guy with an amazing story.


Sherrybaby – Not a feel good movie by any stretch of the imagination, but a good movie none the less. Maggie Gyllenhaal carries this film. I have been a fan of hers since Secretary and she does a pretty good job in this one.


Nil By Mouth – I am a Gary Oldman fan. This is his directorial debut. I obviously don’t have a huge point of reference as I have never been to many of the areas of South London where this story takes place. Can’t say I really enjoyed it but it didn’t suck.


Requiem for a Dream – Wow. If this is not the most depressing ending to a film then I am not sure I want to see the movie that is worse. Not that I did not like it, because I did. This is not for the squeamish in the least. Great performances abound and a story that you need a good drink with afterwards.


Disturbia – Basically a modern re-telling of Rear Window with Shia LaBeouf. I think that is all you really need to hear. Again, not sure why or how this ended up in my queue. I am dumber for having seen it.


Girl 27 – A somewhat interesting documentary about a former showgirl in the 1930’s who got raped by one of the MGM executives only to have MGM hush the whole event. As you meet the woman in her 80’s you see just what an effect that tragic event had on her entire life.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nick Francone said...

I thought "Champion" was excellent and "Sherrybaby" as well. Maggie Gyllanhall (sp?) is great. I loved the movie with her and James Spader where she played his secretary.

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home