Friday, November 14, 2008

Fast Food Hidden Gems

I am not a huge proponent of corporate fast food. For the most part it is shit and you can always find something better if you look around. Still, there are always exceptions to the rule. Here are ten hidden gems you can find at fast food establishments. These are not items that the restaurants are known for but are worth a purchase.


McDonald’s Apple Pie – While I prefer the old school fried apple pie, their baked one isn’t half bad. I really don’t like Mickey D’s and rarely eat there but when I do go, I always get a pie.


Burger King Mac and Cheese – A new item on the menu and a good one. It is basically Kraft Easy Mac, but as a fan of the genre I love the fact I can get it as a side with my Whopper.


Wendy’s Frosty – As far as fast food shakes go, Wendy’s Frosty is the best. So think you can eat it with a spoon.


Popeye’s Onion Rings – My wife introduced these to me and they are crack. Onion Rings that are spicy, seems so simple. They are just killer.


Brown’s Cheesy Potato – A couple of years ago, my wife and I decided to cater some Browns. I was adamant that we get some cheesy potatoes. Joyce shrugged her shoulders and then after they were the hit of the party knew better then to ever question my food selections again


Potbelly’s Pickle – I am a fan of Potbelly’s subs. They are for the most part a Chicago place but they are growing. If you go trust me get a pickle. This is the best pickle I have ever had.


KFC Pot Pie – This should be front and center on KFC’s menu. I love pot pies and their version kicks ass. Sadly, the KFC nearest to my house doesn’t even carry pot pies. That is a crime as these things rock. Another one I got my wife addicted to.


Jack in the Box Taco – Sadly Jack and the Box is no longer in the Chicago market. But, whenever I find myself in a town that has one, I make sure to get a taco. They are deep fried tastes of joy.


White Castle Egg, Bacon and Cheese – Who knew White Castle has such a good breakfast? It is a real egg (not the Mickey D’s mystery egg food) with bacon and cheese all served on wheat toast. I am telling you it rocks.


Arbys French Dip – I am a French Dip fan and for fast food Arbys makes a pretty decent version. Make sure you order it without cheese however. But the Au Jus is tasty and the beef is lean. All you could ask for in a French Dip.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home