Friday, May 06, 2011

Nick's Top 25 Songs Where the Title is not in the Lyrics

Here is a list of my top 25 songs that don’t have the title anywhere in the lyrics if that makes any sense. I again limited this to one song per artist.

The Weight, The Band – I am not sure I want to meet the person that doesn’t like this one. Levon Helm could sing the phone book and I think I would listen to it.

Space Oddity, David Bowie – Ground Control to Major Tom. This was when Bowie was at his androgynous trippy best. I’ve always been a fan of Bowie’s even if his later work is somewhat weak.

Ballad of John and Yoko, The Beatles - To me this was John’s big middle finger to the press, the other members of the band, Beatle fans, whoever. In it he details his famous honeymoon “Bed In.”

Song for the Dumped, Ben Folds Five – If you have ever been through a rough breakup this song is instant therapy. Ben Folds for a time really kicked ass.

Paranoid, Black Sabbath – I have spoken often about my admiration for early Sabbath so, this should come as no surprise. Just try not to air guitar to this song.

Dialogue Part 1 and 2, Chicago – Some voices contrast each other so well, that the result is some beautiful music. Kath and Cetera were this rare combination. Kath with his baritone pipes and Cetera (before he got all into God) with his polar opposite high pitched voice. Plus as per usual Kath kicks ass on guitar.

Train in Vain, The Clash – It seems like whenever I do a list like this The Clash always seem to find a way onto it. And is the case with this track it is always warranted.

Badge, Cream – Cream was probably too good to last a long time. In the short time they were together they put out some solid material. Badge is one of my favorites.

Suite Judy Blue Eyes, Crosby Stills and Nash – Speaking of voices that were meant to sing together, these three were born to. Four songs melted into one beautiful track.

Peace Frog, The Doors – I have to list this. I played on a softball team that was named after it. Still, when I hear it today, I always have to fight the urge to do some drunken dance to it.

Santa Monica, Everclear – I am man enough to admit that I liked Everclear back when they were putting out records in the late 90’s. I know I may lose some street creed with that but, F it. You have to try to hate this one.

Epic, Faith No More – Have to thank my bro for this one. He was really into the band at one time and through osmosis I started to dig this jam.

Auf Achse, Franz Ferdinand – I know I say it a lot, but this album renewed my faith in music. Just when I had given up on anything new being any good this record came along and opened my mind back up.

Funk 49, James Gang – For as much as I hate the Eagles (and trust me I really hate them) I love Joe Walsh and his James Gang era stuff. Funk 49 is Joe just blowing up on guitar.

Black Dog, Led Zeppelin – Due to growing up in the suburbs and over listening to WLUP in the 80’s I kind of got worn out big time on Zeppelin. So, I spent a good ten years avoiding the band. Then one day I got sucked back in to their brilliance. Black Dog is pure balls to the wall rock and roll.

Creeque Alley, The Mama’s and the Papa’s – This is my favorite tune from the Mama’s and the Papa’s. An autobiographical ditty by Papa John and the gang, that is infectious in its groove.

Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana – I think enough has been written about this band, this song, this album and Cobain himself. So, I won’t add anything other than despite it being over analyzed and over played to death it still is a masterpiece.

Synchronicity II, The Police – I posted a link to this one a couple of days ago and in it I noted how much I dug Andy Summers work on it. Never has the line a humiliating kick in the crotch worked so well.

So. Central Rain, REM – Listening to this song now, I get pissed. REM is capable of quality music like this, but cashed it in so long ago by now they have forgotten what they used to be or how to get it back.

Sympathy for the Devil, The Rolling Stones –I am not sure how anyone could make a list like this and leave this one out. Overplayed, sure but it is still a great rocking gem.

Sprit of the Radio, Rush – I have had a on again, off again love affair with Rush. I liked them at the height of their popularity in the early 80’s. Then at a certain point I just got sick of them, so I ignored the band for a long time. Then one day I heard this come on the radio and I found myself jamming to it and I was sucked back into the holy trinity.

Rappers Delight, The Sugarhill Gang – The rap that started it all. This is about as old school as you can get. All these years later and I can still bust a move when I hear it.

Life During Wartime, Talking Heads – David Byrne is a musical genius. I don’t throw that term around lightly. Byrne would have succeeded in any profession he would have chosen. We are all very lucky he decided to become a musician.

Baba O’Reily, The Who – I have already written about this song on my post for best track ones of all time so, I think I covered it there.

After the Gold Rush, Neil Young – There are those in this world that don’t get the pure beauty that is Neil’s music (like my wife.) For those people I truly feel sorry. I don’t know if it is possible to dislike this song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home