Monday, June 25, 2007

Radar Love

I have gotten some flack for attacking NASCAR as much as I do from a un named source. I think the main reason I hate it so much is that it is sort of a microcosm of society. We are fatter and stupider and NASCAR is proof of that.

First off calling NASCAR a sport is kind of like calling Gallagher a comedian. Driving in a circle making left hand turn after left hand turn does not take athletic ability. I am not saying it isn’t a talent but painting is also a talent. Driving fast and not getting in an accident takes skill, but that skill does not translate into athletic ability.

With that said, the main reason I hate NASCAR, is that it is for the brain dead. What makes baseball and to a lesser degree football so great is that as a fan sitting in the park or at home is that you can armchair quarterback along with the head coach or manager. What strategy is there in NASCAR? You hit the gas and re-fuel from time to time. From a fans perspective it is just sitting there watching cars go around and around. There is no interaction what so ever.

I have always loved baseball for the strategy part of it. Next time you go to a game instead of watching the donut race on the big screen or the blooper reel, watch the fielders behind the pitcher. Look at the outfielders. Are they shading a guy a certain direction? Are they playing deep or shallow? Where is the Shortstop? Is he shading in the hole or up the middle? These are all keys in trying to figure out how a pitcher is going to go after a hitter. Every pitch in a baseball game has meaning and purpose behind it. Strategizing along with the pitcher, catcher and the manager is half the fun for me.

This is why I don’t understand the fascination with NASCAR. In a two hour race there is maybe ten minutes of strategy. Like I said, it is more a reflection of society as a whole. We like loud, fast things. Baseball is relaxing, and there are many moments where nothing happens. But to me that is the beauty of that sport. What can be better then on a summer day being out at a ballpark? When you go to a game make it an event. Go get a hot dog and an Old Style. Then go get a score card so that you can keep score. (Something no other sport is designed to do.) Keeping score at a ballgame is a lost art but, one that if you take the time to learn can add an element of enjoyment.

I guess I get it if you live out in rural Arkansas and you don’t have the opportunity or access to catch a baseball game. But, here in a town with two baseball teams, to choose to go out and watch auto racing blows my mind. Then again so does people willingly listening to Country music or spending money to watch a movie staring Kevin Costner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home