Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Pope Head in the Sand the First

Forgive me for not embracing the Pope’s recent visit to America like so many Catholics did. I just can not look past his behavior when it comes to the pedophile crisis. He came here and read a prepared statement apologizing for the actions of those priests who took advantage and you know, fucked children.

Of course, when he was Pope John Paul II’s right hand man, he was put in charge of handling the pedophilia issue. His direction was to basically, move the offending priests out of their diocese and to as he called it, implement the code of silence. In my opinion all that did was enable the continued grab assing of children. By not dealing with the issue head on, thousands of more kid’s lives are now fucked forever. I don’t know how anyone can celebrate a religion or a man who let that happen.

A recent study suggested 10% of catholic priests are pedophiles. Let me repeat that, 10% of Catholic priests are child molesters. So one in ten priests is a pederast. Think about that for one second. Now, think about the Church’s slow response to the issue. Next time you are in church and dumping money into the basket try thinking about the organization that is getting that money. Think about the million’s the church has paid to victims.

I admit, that I have an ax to grind when it comes to the Catholic Church. I was raised Catholic, but as I got older I started distancing myself from the church. The reasons for this were many. Their continual gay bashing, their old school treatment of women, and their abortion stances were way out of line with my own personal beliefs.

But all that aside, I don’t know anyone that could condone child molestation. The Catholic Church’s lack of really any response allowed thousands of more kids to get messed with my priests. You see priests had access to kids, the object of the 10 percent's affection. So, when numerous complaints are made against a priest what did the church do time and time again in numerous different places all across the country? They simply moved the priest to a different parish.

This edict came right from the Vatican. You see the Catholic’s believe their laws (cannon laws) outweigh our country’s laws. They believe through prayer a preset can be cured. To me having the knowledge that you have a pedophile in your ranks and then instead of dealing with it, you introduce him to a whole new set of kids is beyond repugnant.

I haven’t considered myself a Catholic for years. But, after the way they have handled this issue, I don’t understand how anyone could support them. I guess I get being raised a certain way and not wanting to give up the tradition and beliefs that you were taught. Still, how anyone can associate themselves with that organization is simply ignoring the issue. If that was your kid or a kid you knew what would your stance be?

Yes, there are good priests out there and there are good churches as well. Also, I am the first to admit the Catholic Church does a lot of good. But, when the Vatican acts as sinfully and hypocritical as it does it is impossible for me to condone that. So, I will not personally support the church anymore. If my wife wants to baptize our child, I will go along with it, but it will be all her. I respect her beliefs and I respect others beliefs as well. I just ask that my beliefs are accepted as well.

3 Comments:

Blogger ZombieDante said...

The Catholic Church does a lot of good? Please, educate me on that one.

8:49 AM  
Blogger 10withmop said...

Well, the St. Vincent De Paul society does a lot of good things for the needy like providing food and clothing.

3:40 PM  
Blogger ZombieDante said...

True. So that's one for their side.

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home