Monday, November 17, 2008

Book Report Time

It has been a while since I submitted a book report. Here is very brief report of the last five books I have read.


The Browns Chicken Massacre by Maurice Possley – If you live in the Chicagoland area then no doubt you are familiar with the 1993 massacre that took place at a Browns Chicken in Palatine. The case went unsolved for over a decade. DNA evidence caught up with the killers though and thankfully both assholes were caught. The book tells the story of the investigation. It is pretty good but, I have read better true crime books.


Boys Will Be Boys by Jeff Pearlman – I am not a fan of the Dallas Cowboys. But, the 1990’s Cowboy teams were entertaining. Well, this book sheds those teams in a very honest and harsh light. A group that was great but self destructed due to over indulgence and excess. It is worth a gander just to read about Charles Haley and his masturbation practices in the locker room.


A Promise to Ourselves by Alec Baldwin – This book is more about divorce proceedings in America and how flawed they are. A lot of the book tells of his own personal experience with the system via his own messy highly publicized divorce. I like Alec Baldwin warts and all and I thought the book was entertaining and made its point at the same time.


God Save the Fan by Will Leitch – I am an ardent reader of the sports blog Deadspin. Leitch is the former editor of the site. This book is pretty funny and sends up a lot of the gasbags at ESPN. If you are not familiar with the site I highly suggest googling Carl Monday and You’re With Me Leather to get a better understanding of the true genius of the site.


In His Sights by Kate Brennan – I found this one at the Oak Lawn library one day. It is written by a woman who has been stalked by her ex-boyfriend for over fifteen years. She now lives under an alias in a different city. She has to live her life in fear and is constantly looking over her shoulder. That is no way to go through life and anytime I want to bitch about some minor inconvenience I will think about what this lady has to go through all because of some asshole.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home