Friday, February 27, 2009

John Cusack

Johnny C. is a Chicago guy and a Cub fan. So, obviously I want to like the guy. With that said lately he has made a lot of bad movies. Here is my list.


Best

1. The Sure Thing

2. Being John Malkovich

3. The Grifters


I had to exclude Say Anything, High Fidelity, Eight Men Out, Gross Point Blank and Better Off Dead, all movies I really enjoy. The Grifters is one of those films that people kind of forget about but, it was a pretty good movie with a creepy oedipal complex ending. Being John Malkovich is a personal favorite of mine. One I saw it I felt it was the most original picture I had seen in years. Still, I have to put the old standby The Sure Thing at the top. Time in no way has diminished my love for this 1980’s classic.


Worst

1. America’s Sweethearts

2. Serendipity

3. Must Love Dogs


Do you see a trend here? Ya, all these are lame romantic comedies. I left off two other brutal films in City Hall (I was so disappointed walking out of the theatre after that turkey) and Con Air. Must Love Dogs has so many cliché’s I think a computer actually wrote the script. Serendipity really sucked but you have to wonder how much was cut out due to 9/11. (The movie was filmed in New York right before the attacks and the city plays a vital point in the plot of the movie. The producers cut a lot out as the country wasn’t ready to see the twin towers in a film so soon after the attacks.) Still, as bad as those films are nothing can top the ultimate in cheesy romantic comedies that is America’s Sweethearts. This one has it all. Julia Roberts in a fat suit, Billy Crystal bringing his tired act, Christopher Walken mailing it in and Katharine Zeta Jones (who can act when given decent material) playing a character so annoying it caused me to find her unattractive. (Which is quite a feat.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Kris C. said...

First of all, I'm cracking up that you actually saw those last three. You truely are a good husband! I'm on my own if I'm in a chick flick mood.

Usually I agree with your top three, but not this time. I would say: 1) The Grifters 2) Bullets over Broadway 3) Say Anything and then The Road to Wellville is close behind.

Oooh, what about One Crazy Summer???

7:17 AM  
Blogger Nick Francone said...

I really liked Gross Point Blank...

6:56 PM  
Blogger Kris C. said...

Gross Point Blank was just okay for me. Same with High Fidelity. . 2 1/2 stars on each from me.

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home