Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tim Robbins

Tim Robbins is one of my favorite actors. I love that he takes cameos in movies like The Pick of Destiny and High Fidelity. Still, he has made some really bad movies as well. Here are my top and bottom three.


Best

1. The Shawshank Redemption
2. The Player
3. Bull Durham


I had to leave off Short Cuts, Mystic River and The Hudsucker Proxy, all movies I also enjoy. Bull Durham was pretty much his breakout role and might be my favorite baseball film. The Player is genius. I still love this Altman comeback picture where he skewers the Hollywood studio system. Still, to put any other movie other then Shawshank as the top is impossible. It is simply a masterpiece and as I have said before, if you don’t have a tear in your eye at the end of that film you are made of stone.


Worst
1. Howard the Duck
2. I.Q.
3. Mission to Mars


All three of these are not only bad but cringingly so. Mission to Mars could have been good. It had a lot of things going for it. Brian De Palma directing a decent cast that included not only Robbins but Don Chedale and Gary Sinise seems like a hit. However, this movie is just a brutal watch. I can’t say I have ever been able to make it through an entire sitting of I.Q. I have seen enough of it to know that the plot is ludicrous and it has Meg Ryan in it. Still, as bad as that is nothing can top Howard the Duck. I have mentioned before about my journey to see that film so I won’t rehash it. That movie was so bad and so over the top you can only wonder just what in God’s name the filmmakers were thinking.

5 Comments:

Blogger ZombieDante said...

Okay, my least favorite Tim Robbins film is definitely Cadillac Man, which I saw twice in one day at the old Harlem Corners. Long story. His best movie is and always will be Jacob’s Ladder.

10:53 AM  
Blogger 10withmop said...

Okay, I will agree Cadillac Man sucks. I also saw that one at Harlem Corners. Jacobs Ladder I saw at the Drive Inn which is not really the best place to see a movie like that. I remember being really mad at the end of that flick.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Kris C. said...

Again, I agree with your top three and your bottom three. The Player is one of my top three favorite movies--period.

What about Bob Roberts??? Another good one.

I never saw Jacobs Ladder. It's been on my list since it came out. . .I just never got around to it.

7:34 PM  
Blogger 10withmop said...

Bob Roberts is a favorite of mine as well. Kind of forgot about that one.

10:28 PM  
Blogger ZombieDante said...

"Drugs Stink" is one of my favorite songs from that movie. Catchy. Like the clap.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home