Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Stealing Muffins

I work for a travel agency but I am not a travel agent. A lot of suppliers looking to drum up business come into our office and bring in breakfast or lunch for the agents in the office in an effort to sway business to them. The thinking is if you give an agent a corn muffin, when said agent is on the phone booking a trip for some executive they will somehow be persuaded to steer them to their hotel or airline.


I have no idea if this works or not since, as I said I am not a travel agent and do not do any booking. However, I do enjoy corn muffins. So, my co worker and I have to play this game whenever a supplier comes in bringing treats. One of the drawbacks of getting your hands on a free muffin is that you actually have to talk to the supplier who brought them.


As I am not an agent I really have nothing to offer them. I just looking to score some free breakfast. The look on these peoples faces when you tell them that you are not an agent and you are in IT, trust me is not worth a piece of coffee cake. So, what I will usually do is wait for the sales people to leave and pick through what is left after the agents have had their pick.


This usually leaves me eating lemon poppy seed muffins or a multigrain onion bagel. But I am cheap, the food is free and hey beggars can’t be choosey. It also means I am eating this crap at like 10:30 and it is somewhat stale (as it has been sitting out for at the very least a couple of hours.)


My co worker and I will take turns every 15 minutes or so at around 10ish to see if they left and the coast is clear. We will slowly walk past the lunchroom and if there is no one there we attack like a dog on a piece of prime rib.


I know what you are thinking. Why not just spend the $2 and buy your own breakfast? I guess there is something exciting about scoring a free scone. It breaks up the monotony of our work day and I must say the only way on onion bagel tastes good is if it is free.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home