Saturday, May 07, 2011

An Open Letter to Mike Quade

I was happy when the Cubs gave the job to Mike Quade. The little I saw of him at the helm last year I liked. I know a lot of Cub Fans got mad when they didn't give it to Sandberg but at the time I thought Quade was the right man for the job. I am not saying he isn't but, he has not exactly won me over this first five weeks of the season. Fans always think they know better then the manager. I don't think that however, I do think these suggestions have some merit based on the results we have had so far. Consider this an open letter to Mike Quade.

Mike,
First, I know you don't have the best hand to play with. Jim Hendry must have pictures of somebody in some very compromising positions. His 10 million one year deal to Pena looks foolish when you consider what Lance Berkman is doing in St. Louis. I am not blaming you for the lackluster performance. But, I do have a couple of lets call them suggestions.

Like stop batting Starlin Castro third. At some point in his career he will be a three hitter but not now. I realize you have few other options. How about moving Ramirez down from 4 to 3 putting either Fonzie or hell even Pena in the 4 hole and hitting Byrd 5th? Leave Castro and Barney at the top of the lineup and move Kouske down. It's May his season is over.

While I am at it, you might want to give Geo a day off now and then. I know Koyie Hill is brutal with a bat in his hand. But, so far Geo has started all but three games this year. At this point he is going to be burnt out by July. Also, give Castro a blow as well. He has started every game this year. I know he is only 21 but he has been slumping. Give DeWitt a start. I know he is in your doghouse but, the last couple of times he has come off the bench he has delivered. Why not reward him with 4 AB's?

As mentioned above it is May and if history is any indicator that means this is when Fukudome goes in the tank, hell it has already started. I know Colvin looks bad at the plate right now. But, give him a couple of starts in a row to see if he can get out of it. Kosuke is not going to be here next year and we have to see if last season was a fluke for Colvin or not. I know this is hard to admit but, we are not going to win this year. So, it is pointless to keep playing Fukudome over Colvin. I am not saying Colvin is ever going to be a star but we need to find out what we have in him and sitting on the bench we will never know.

From a pitching perspective losing Cashner and Wells was a big blow. So, you kind of get a mulligan on that one. However, you might want to tell your pitching coach to get off his ass once in awhile and go talk to his pitchers when they are having a tough inning. Big Z gave up 5 in the first inning a couple of weeks ago and Riggs just sat there and never went to visit. Other then the Shark and I don't see improvement in any pitcher yet. Again, I know it is early but Riggs is making me yearn for Larry Rothchild and that is truly frightening.

It is a long season and the journey has just begun. As a fan that lives and dies with this team I must say so far this has not been a whole lot of fun to watch. A good manager gets the most out of his talent. And while I admit the talent you have to work with is minimal I don't think you at this point are getting the most out of it. I still believe in you Mike but the clock is ticking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home