Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Sox Fans and Class: An Oxymoron

I must be a masochist as for the last several years I have attended the Cubs-Sox game in enemy territory at the Cell. The reasons for this are simple. First off the ticket is much easier to get on the south side. As the Cubs sell out many more games and have a smaller stadium, tickets are more readily available for the games at Sox Park. Secondly, most of my friends are Sox fans and we all head down and tailgate before and after the game. My friend Kevin usually has a smorgasbord of food, even going so far as to deep fry some turkeys one year.

While, I really enjoy all the fun and good-natured ribbing I have with my friends in the parking lot, once I go into the stadium my fun ceases. For some reason Sox fans take this game way to seriously. I just want to scream at these morons, It’s just a fucking baseball game! Sadly, these pathetic drunken losers have very little going on in their life and somehow they equate the Sox beating the Cubs to proving their pathetic existence on earth is somehow validated. How one makes this jump I do not know, yet I see it every year.

And, if I hear that Cub fans take this game just as seriously, I will have to laugh. While they may be a small minority of Cub fans who take this game just as serious, I can guarantee you they are a lot more Sox fans out there that equate this game to life or death. You see, the Sox are the second team in this city. Nothing is ever going to change that. They could go and win the World Series this year and they would still be the second team. The reasons for this are many and are better served in another blog. For some reason instead of the fans embracing this underdog mentality they rebel against the only way they know how, by hating the Cubs and their fans.

I have seen fisticuffs and thug behavior and the drunken Sox fan usually starts it. Sure, there are Sox suck shirts out there but you will see ten times more negative Cubs attire than the other way around. I guess I will never fully understand the hate and why they have such a huge chip on their shoulder. The Cubs won on Saturday but that did little to dissuade the drunken idiot Sax fans. (Of which my friends are not a part of. While they may give me shit from time to time it is all in fun and there is absolutely no malice intended.) As I was walking down the ramp to get out of there I was attacked with the verbal “Cubs still suck” all the way until I exited the stadium.

So, every year I say that this will be the last year I go to the game. However some parts of me still enjoys the other parts of the day, like the kinship with friends and the other good Sox fans. (And trust me they are out there. However, human nature tends to make one concentrate on the idiots.) Those reasons keep me coming back. I just would hope that maybe one day these morons who feel the need to belittle the Cubs just grow up and concentrate on their own team. The Cubs are not in your division and other than those six games the outcome of the Cubs score has no bearing on your team. Please just root for your club and try to show at least a little bit of class when doing so. Somehow I doubt that will ever happen. Because you see hatred is a learned behavior. So, if you have one drunken idiot and he raises another drunken idiot the cycle will never end.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick, I must confess that back in 1959 I rooted for the Dodgers to win the World Series. I was quite envious that my Cubbies were nowhere to be found in the National League pennant picture. I was fortunate to live on the north side during that year so I did not run into many idiot Sox fans. I won't say I hate the Sox, I am more indifferent to their success or failures. They are a meaningless entity, in my mind.

I will say that having to put up with Hawk Harrelson is very painful. He has got to be the worst color guy I have ever heard. "he gone", "good guys win" absolutely drive me nuts.

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home