Thursday, January 17, 2008

Random Baseball Thoughts

I miss baseball. I can not wait for spring training to start. Sadly, all anyone wants to talk about now is steroids and Rodger Clemens instead of on the field matters. Here are some random baseball thoughts.

Rodger Clemens is full of shit. Pure and simple the man is a liar. If all he could come up with is that his trainer shot B-12 and lidocaine in his ass, then he needs to hire better PR guys. Lidocaine is a topical numbing agent. Meaning, you apply it directly to the area that is sore. So, unless his ass hurt there would be nothing to gain from injecting it.

All he is trying to do is protect his legacy which, at this point is going to be forever tarnished. The way he has protested and acted like the spoiled brat that he is, will forever sully his on the field accomplishments. I still think he is a hall of famer but a tarnished one.

I do not get the Cubs off season moves. I like the signing of Jon Lieber simply because, what could it hurt. And letting go of Mark Prior doesn’t bother me, I don’t think he will win twenty games for the rest of his career. But I still think we need a center fielder and I don’t see the need to trade the farm to get Brian Roberts.

From what I hear the Orioles want three of four prospects for Roberts. That is too high of a price. The guy is 31 and has a history of injury problems. Plus, we already have Mark De Rosa at second. I don’t get the need to upgrade at a position where you are set. You can live and win with De Rosa. In retrospect they should have just kept Jaque Jones as much as I bitched about him, for another year and let him play center. Felix Pie simply is not ready.

I know I am not a White Sox fan but I really don’t get their moves either. I don’t know a single Sox fan who likes what Kenny Williams has done. They have added Nick Swisher and Orlando Cabrera but did so at an expensive cost.

Kenny Williams is an arrogant pompous ass who thinks he knows better then anyone else. He got fleeced on the Garland trade. You don’t trade a 27 year old pitcher who has two 17 game win seasons under his belt for a middle aged shortstop coming off a career year who is a free agent after the season. There is no good way to spin that one. On top of that their rotation has two solid pitchers in Buerhle and Vazquez and then three question marks. I’ve been wrong before, but this isn’t even a .500 team they way they are built today.

Bud Selig has been bad for baseball. I know that profits have soared for the owners but he did that while turning a blind eye towards steroids. He and the other fat cat owners loved the home runs that were being hit but ignored how big the players got and how they got that large. Also, the disparity between the payrolls has never been properly addressed. I know he has to deal with the union, but how come baseball is the only sport that still has this issue?

If Green Bay had a baseball team there is no way they could compete with the Red Sox and Yankees. You are only as strong as your weakest links and while everyone wants to talk about attendance going up, there are some warning signs that things are not so sunny. Florida, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Tampa Bay, and Baltimore simply can not draw. Some of the reason is because they put out a shit product. But, the situation in Florida in particular needs to be addressed. Twice they built a winner and twice they blew it up. That should never happen. It is time to face the facts, baseball in Florida may never catch on.

Baseball needs to stop with the foreign cities season openers. I don’t know anyone who likes these games. Taking away a home date from a team just so you can expose the game to Japan or Mexico (who both already have their own leagues) is about nothing other then money. You screw the home fans of a team just so you get more foreign dollars. If you want to play some exhibition games there I am all for that. But, starting the season there, is just plain wrong.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was talking to my doctor (big baseball fan, he also does the public address announcements for the Clippers)and he said anything injected must have a doctor's prescription. So if Clemens is so innocent and just got B12 shots, let him produce the doctor that prescribed them.

5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home