Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The IPod Scuffle

I am in the office in December and there is not much going on, therefore I am bored. So, I decided to write a blog. With nothing on my mind I thought I would write about the next twenty five songs that come up on my IPOD scuffle again. I got a cool speaker from the Francone Christmas grab bag (thanks Lorena) and I broke it in today at work. Again I need to remind all that read that I share an IPod with my wife and I am not going to skip one song no matter how embarrassing it may be. So, here we go.


Jeopardy, The Greg Kihn Band – A throwaway 80’s tune. I also like Kihn’s other 80’s hit the Breakup song. This song of course was also famously lampooned by Weird Al Yankovic with I Lost on Jeopardy in which Kihn was cool enough to appear in the video for.


Rapture, Blondie – The IPod must be on an 80’s kick. Not the best Blondie song but still cool in that it is one of the first songs with rapping to ever chart believe it or not. Also a cool video in which Fab 5 Freddy appeared.

Paradise, Sade – Ok, I like Sade. I could give a shit if anyone has a problem with it. She has a killer voice. This is probably my favorite Sade groove. Definitely need to be in a certain mood to hear this song (like on the verge of heavy petting.)


When I Come Around, Green Day – I know liking Green Day is a crime against nature among the true punk fans. It is called corporate punk and with good reason. But, try as I might to resist Dookie, I have to admit that yes, I liked it. This is the song that probably gets most nuked from the disc, but fuck it I like it.


Victoria, The Kinks – My brother is monster Kinks fan. I never really got into them. Recently I have been listening to more and more of them and loading more and more of their library to my IPod. This song just simply rocks. Thanks, Vince.


Were Not Gonna Take It, The Who – What do I really need to say on this one? The Who on arguably their greatest record. This song in particular is an anthem for a time and place though I was not alive for, thanks to this tune I get a feel for.


Loser, Beck – Beck’s first hit was on in Nick’s Toyota Corolla’s cd player on a continual loop back in 94. I jut loved the song then and still love it today. I will always hear this song and it will bring me back to a great trip to SIU to visit Conway and Rob. “Get crazy with the cheese wiz” must have been uttered 50 times that weekend.


American Idiot, Green Day – Shit. I am highly embarrassed to have this on my IPod. God damn IPod can’t you shuffle past Green Day. Yes, I own this disc and yes, I like this song. I can’t really defend it so I won’t bother.


Signs, Five Man Electrical Band – Now this is a jam. Many remember the Tesla cover in the 80’s. I am more of a fan of the original. I am told by my Aunts that when I was a small child I rocked out to this tune. I guess some things never change as I when I hear it now I still feel like grabbing a pen and paper that says thank you lord for thinking ‘bout me, I’m alive and doin’ fine.


Black Betty, Ram Jam – There is no way one can resist this song try as you might. This is hard core rocking in all of its 70’s best. Just try hearing it and not tapping a toe and starting a head bob along with the guitar and drums.


Pipeline, Dick Dale – Yes, I am a surf guitar fan. I think I wrote about this song when I listed my favorite instrumental songs. Dick Dale is the master of surf guitar and while it is strange listening to this song on a snowy December Chicago day, I can still dig it.


(White Man) in Hammersmith Palais, The Clash – I love the Clash and this song has them at their reggae best. Paul Simonon was a huge reggae fan and his input was usually these types of songs in the Clash’s catalog. This tune is about as un-puck rock as you can get yet works for the Clash. Have I mentioned just how much I love this band?


Change It, Stevie Ray Vaughn – For American blues guitar greatness, I don’t know if it gets any better then SRV. For all his genius with a guitar his vocals get overlooked. I never really thought about it much but Stevie could also sing. Change It, is like so many other Vaughn tracks, a blues driven jam that just hits you right in the gut.


Rock Steady, The Whispers – This is a Joyce song. Joyce as am I, is a fan of 80’s music. Joyce has more of an appreciation of the dance genre. I admit this is a catchy enough song in that vein. Not one of my favorite but there are worse offenses. (Such as Basil, Toni)


Free, Train – Basically this is one of those lame mellow rockers that were all the rage a couple of years ago. So, I know what you are asking why is this on your IPod? Well, I am not above liking a lame song or two. Yes, I will own to this one, give me shit, I deserve it.


Middle Man, Living Colour – Ah, Living Colour back in the Vivid days. This record will always take me back to driving around in Hunger’s Blue Dodge Omni jamming this on his tiny speakers in the back. My posse glommed onto this record and it kind of became the soundtrack for the summer of 1989 which was one of the best of my lifetime.


Word Up, Cameo – This song being played in Dell’s Impala caused him to either get a ticket or at the very least get pulled over. (I can’t remember if he was able to talk his way out of it or not.) Trust me it is a long story. The dude who sang for Cameo had some very distinctive and serious pipes. This track always takes me back to my senior year for some reason. (By the way this song was on when the mailroom guy came in and he just gave me the weirdest look. I guess I don’t look like most Cameo fans.)


Fuck the Police, NWA – Maybe the most pissed off rap song of all time. The original gangsta rappers that started an avalanche. This is a fucking jam. Lyrics that are so raw and angry that even this white suburban boy can get into them. Rest in peace, Eazy wherever you are.


The Look of Love, ABC – Another 80’s pop song. It is what it is. I am a bigger fan of Poison Arrow but this is decent enough in a synthesized keytar kind of way. Yes, the lyrics are stupid but hey it was the 80’s they didn’t have to make sense.


Our House, Crosby Stills, Nash and Young – A sweet little Graham Nash song that is catchy enough where you find yourself humming it after you hear it. I often sing this one to Joyce at home as we do have two cats in our yard. She had never heard of it before me. I am not sure if she is thankful or not.


All I Want is You, Barry Louis Polisar – I got this one off of the Juno soundtrack. This time last year, I was into the movie and its quirky music so I went out and bought the cd. I downloaded it to my IPod and still enjoy much of the songs. This is one of them that while I can understand if people find it annoying, I seem to dig even if it is a kid’s song.


Rocky Mountain Way, Joe Walsh – I hate the Eagles yet I love the Joe Walsh, James Gang stuff. I guess that is what you call a paradox. This and Walk Away are my favorites. Great guitar and Walsh’s always inspired lyrics.


We Gotta Get You a Woman, Todd Rundgren – Rundgren is one of those underrated musicians that no one ever thinks about but, was in his way very good. This song in particular is written and arranged exceptionally. I wish I had more of background on this guy because I know a lot of people who swear by him.


I Can See For Miles, The Who – A jam. Not sure what else needs to be said. This is the mighty Who at their Rock God best.


Say What, Stevie Ray Vaughn – This is Vaughn at his coked up and heroin ingested blues best. He recorded this before he got cleaned up and lays down some amazing blues guitar riffs. Like all Stevie Ray guitar licks he just knows how to make that instrument do things that others can’t.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home