Monday, April 20, 2009

I'm Back

I am back at work after a wonderful (for the most part) week off. Besides hitting beautiful Wrigley Field for two games I was able to stain my deck, throw down some grass seed for the bare spots in my lawn, and get out most of the patio furniture. I also completed a number of other menial tasks that had been on my list for awhile.

With that said for the most part my vacation was all about heading up to Wrigley to see my favorite baseball team. I went on Wednesday and on Friday. I saw a loss and a win and as usual had my share of Old Styles. Here are some random items relating to the Cub games I attended.

The best line I heard during the two days at Wrigley took place on the train platform on Wednesday. I get off on Addison and one of the drunk frat boys started singing Go Cubs Go, you know before the game even started. Being intoxicated at 11:30 in the morning is not a foreign experience to me but, I “don’t go cherry popping with bubble gummers, my friends can handle their high.” (Name the movie)

Anyway the drunk started berating the rest of us as we climbed down the stairs for not being Cub fans because we didn’t join in on his drunken version of the Steve Goodman classic. That was when this older gentleman became my hero. He looked at this moron and said, “Asshole, I was a Cub fan when you were still swimming around in your Daddies, balls.” That shut him up much to the delight of all.

Another amusing story happened after the game. My buddy Tony and I were walking along Clark Street near the Ernie Banks statue. A 20 something guy and his girlfriend were running towards us. The guy was about 5 steps ahead of his lady. Well, the woman had, had a couple of drinks and the motor skills were not working very well. So, as she was attempting to run her legs were running faster then her brain could process information. This caused her to fall flat on her face. She stuck her hand out at the last second to avoid a complete face plant onto the hard sidewalk pavement. Tony and I asked her if she was ok and all she could utter in a slurred drunken trixie voice was “I’m not running anymore.” That was wise. By the way the boyfriend never stopped to ask how she was.

I also have to offer some advice. I hesitate to let this secret out because my fear is that it will get out and ruin it for me personally. But, knowing my blog reaches an audience of about 5 people I really don’t have much to fear. If you need to meet people for a Cub game near the park, I cannot recommend meeting them at the Raw Bar enough. Raw Bar is located between The Trace and Metro right on Clark. It is mere steps from the ballpark yet, is never really that crowded before or after the game. Also, there are far less frat boys and trixies in the bar. You can sit at the bar and have a conversation and actually hear yourself talk. They have great food and while the beer selection isn’t great it suits me and my posse perfectly. Also, Tony the owner is a really nice guy who will B.S. with you. The Raw Bar has been my default Wrigley bar for nearly 10 years now and I see no need to change.

On a similar note I was sad to see the Sports Corner torn down. The Sports Corner was one of the original Wrigley bars dating back to my youth in the late 70’s. It might be the first bar I ever stepped foot in as a youngster with my Uncles John and Dan. I have told the story in this post http://10withamop.blogspot.com/2005/08/how-i-becmae-south-side-cub-fan.html#comments about my first experience with the female forum at the Sports Corner. I can only guess just how much cash the owner got by selling so, in a way I can’t blame him. Still, I will miss seeing the place as I head towards the park.

Lastly, here are some Cub game traditions for Nick. I must bring with me a bag of Cubs peanuts to every game. I buy them at Jewel and have them with me as I walk into the park. The bag has the Cub logo on it. You don’t want to eat peanuts before you walk into the park, but man there is something about being at a ballgame with an Old Style and eating some salty nuts. It makes life worth living. I also have to have my usual two hot dogs with mustard and relish as well. Last year I went to 19 games. That is 38 hotdogs last summer. That cannot be a good thing. I also start the year with a new hat. I then wear that hat until the Cubs lose, then I switch hats for the next game I go to. I have an order that I can’t really explain, to the process. Since they lost on Wednesday I am back to my second hat of the year. They won on Friday so, that is the hat I will wear to my next game. I will continue to wear said hat until I see them lose in it. I know it is insane but, ever since my Dad made me sit in the same seat on the couch that Sandberg hit his first homer in that famous game in 84 and it worked I have been superstitious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home